+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speak up! Why some TV dialogue is so hard to understand

I'm Howard.

Default Speak up! Why some TV dialogue is so hard to understand

by Lauren Ward, doctoral researcher in Audio Engineering Salford University

Within 24 hours of the first episode of wartime drama SS-GB being broadcast the BBC received 100 complaints. Viewers took to Twitter to vent their frustrations with the sound. Many highlighted their annoyance that SS-GB was just the latest drama to be plagued with audibility problems. The debate has stretched to the House of Lords, with peers asking whether consultation with broadcasters is needed to address the issue. The Conversation

So is making television sound understandable as simple as asking actors to speak up? The short answer is: no. Clean recordings and well enunciated speech will always make dialogue easier to understand. However, the relationship between the audio from our television and what we understand as speech is much more complex.

Many news sources and some of the Lords blamed “modern flat televisions which place more emphasis on picture quality” than sound quality.

There is some evidence to support this idea. A recent study investigating how television sets effect speech intelligibility showed the ......
    http://www.salford.ac.uk/news/articl...ME=news-portal
    Well, hello.

I'm Dennis.

This is a subject which has been increasingly annoying me for 40 years, it starting with weird intonation inappropriate to the sense of meaning.

The BBC used to pride itself on speech quality, so much so that they after searching for good enough monitors for speech and not being able to find any, started their own R&D and produced what were then the best in the world.

I remember well hearing it all when I worked there in the World Service, numerous languages, all spoken very clearly and with all frequencies present, and also hearing a live performance from Indian instruments in the control room of a studio which was stunning.

But broadcasting is not really driven by creating high quality art any more, it is more McDonalds than organic haute cuisine, and the mics used have very often become lavalier electret condenser types, and you may notice that as well as being off axis, they are often pointing away from the orator's mouth, noticeable on news programmes.

According to Bill Woodman, ATC, they no longer have dedicated sound engineers to pay attention to SQ, and also the standard mics on cameras are used, producing poor results.

Music often masks speech also, its levels not being set reasonably, this apparent on BBC2 & 4 progs, and proximity effects also seem ignored.

I believe that it is worse on high quality broad band loudspeakers, and perhaps better on small set speakers with little bass.

This problem is now routine and ubiquitous, but as alluded to, the decline in enunciation in our spoken word is also major, even with academics, and mumbling seems normal now.

I'm Geoff.

The encroachment of 'Americanisms' on TV pisses me off. In this country, we have aeroplanes, not 'airplanes' as seems to be creeping in. And now we have 'Monday thru Friday' instead of from Monday until Friday. And so on. It's laziness!

And never mind TV dialogue. What about the language (if you can call it that) that less educated teenagers speak. Yo, innit bruv!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Don't get me started on dropped 'G's, it's a plague.

Teachers and presenters take note

Also how on earth do you get month to sound like mumf, sheer laziness?

I'm Geoff.

There is definitely a tendency with some youngsters to resist being educated. Being streetwise is more important to them. Having to be at school is regarded as an imposition and something to be avoided.

This has always been the case though, hence the hoards of lawless, alcoholic, 'benefit morons' cluttering and dragging down housing estates with their dozen violent housebreaking kids and garden full of pitbulls.

They used to say 'bring back conscription'. Well that would never have been a good idea. You'd just end up with loads of fit hooligans that know how to handle themselves. Mind you, prison turns out plenty of those!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-08-2017 at 14:27.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

For me, it's either poor mixing or recording. I find most shows today have dialogue low and then music and effects too loud. I get wanting to be dynamic but it's too extreme.
    Last edited by Simon_LDT; 09-08-2017 at 10:11.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    by Lauren Ward, doctoral researcher in Audio Engineering Salford University

So is making television sound understandable as simple as asking actors to speak up? The short answer is: no.
    The short answer is: yes. In fact, the long answer is: yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    ... and the mics used have very often become lavalier electret condenser types, and you may notice that as well as being off axis, they are often pointing away from the orator's mouth, noticeable on news programmes.
    I find that lavalier electret condensers are very good mics indeed, and good for a lot more than just speech. BTW, the vast majority of them are omnidirectional, so there's no need to have them pointing at the orator's mouth. (Ok, the omnidirectionality falls off at high frequencies, but they're still nothing like a cardioid mic.)

I'm jamie.

what pisses me off is the adverts are louder so you have to keep adjusting the volume
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

I think it is the crappy sound on these flat panel tvs that is the problem, not the BBC. I've had no issues since hooking up an amp and speakers to mine. Before that it was quite poor and hard to listen to, on any channel. My uncle, who is 87,complained to me about the same problem with his new telly, he has now hooked up an Akai amp and some Wharfedale Lintons he bought back in about 1971 and reports that is the problem solved.

I bet all those complaints to the BBC about SS-GB were from over 60s who don't realise that the sound quality on their fancy new telly is the issue and are blaming the BBC instead.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

A lot of tvs have a speach setting which i find good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast