+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speak up! Why some TV dialogue is so hard to understand

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think it is the crappy sound on these flat panel tvs that is the problem, not the BBC. I've had no issues since hooking up an amp and speakers to mine. Before that it was quite poor and hard to listen to, on any channel. My uncle, who is 87,complained to me about the same problem with his new telly, he has now hooked up an Akai amp and some Wharfedale Lintons he bought back in about 1971 and reports that is the problem solved.

I bet all those complaints to the BBC about SS-GB were from over 60s who don't realise that the sound quality on their fancy new telly is the issue and are blaming the BBC instead.
    ^^^So much this^^^

I've watched a few of these series that have supposedly had intelligibility issues and found no problem at all, I suspect because my TV goes through the hi-fi. Frankly, I agree with Jamie that the biggest issue seems to be the disparity between advert and programme volume!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

I recall a lot of people complained about Brian Cox's science docs, saying they could not hear what he was saying over the background music and demanding that he speak up a bit (sonny). I bet that was the same problem.

They might be better off having him do a documentary about how to get decent sound quality from your television.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think it is the crappy sound on these flat panel tvs that is the problem, not the BBC. I've had no issues since hooking up an amp and speakers to mine. Before that it was quite poor and hard to listen to, on any channel. My uncle, who is 87,complained to me about the same problem with his new telly, he has now hooked up an Akai amp and some Wharfedale Lintons he bought back in about 1971 and reports that is the problem solved.

I bet all those complaints to the BBC about SS-GB were from over 60s who don't realise that the sound quality on their fancy new telly is the issue and are blaming the BBC instead.
    Plus they're probably going deaf and are in denial about it. Personally I can follow TV/film dialogue fine most of the time, even via the laptop, though I sometimes fail to hear the doorbell ringing.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Plus they're probably going deaf and are in denial about it. Personally I can follow TV/film dialogue fine most of the time, even via the laptop, though I sometimes fail to hear the doorbell ringing.
    That could be part of it, and Cox's dulcet tones may be another contributory factor.

My doorbell had an eppy and died several years ago. Not replaced it as I never answer the door to unsolicited callers in any case. I mean it isn't going to be good news, is it? If you want me to answer the door call me on my mobile. Don't have my mobile number? Then you're shit out of luck.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    what pisses me off is the adverts are louder so you have to keep adjusting the volume
    It's the adverts which pay for the service, so the broadcaster is bound to make them louder. Just don't watch commercial telly (but you would still have to pay for it).

But returning to the sound quality of speech, I find these days the continuity announcers on BBC radio seem to have uneccessary and unrealistically deep-sounding voices.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-08-2017 at 14:15. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Tape commercial telly then watch it later and just fast forward through the adverts. Still amazes me that there are people who don't use that facility. It's the greatest invention of our times.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    A lot of tvs have a speach setting which i find good.
    My Samsung has a clear speech setting that works quite well though I usually fire up my amp and speakers for films and stuff like game of thrones, much better
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    what pisses me off is the adverts are louder so you have to keep adjusting the volume
    This seems to be a problem with a number of channels. We find we are constantly adjusting the tv volume. Adverts just piss me off period.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They used to say 'bring back prescription'.
    Conscription?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Conscription?
    HaHa. Quite right. I wonder how I managed to cock that up? Corrected.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast