+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed please!!!!

I'm peter.

Default Advice needed please!!!!

Has anybody had any experience using a non Rega cart on a Rega deck with an RB303 tonearm. I have recently had a new cart fitted (HANA SL MC) and whilst I was informed by the techy who fitted the cart that no shims were needed for vta I am not so sure just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this or could suggest ooooot in the way of sound advice
    Cheers chaps
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac
    Powered by a DEBEN tracer battery
    Mc5000 klotz ms audio cables(cheers Brian).
    REGA couple 2 ics
    JEZ ARKLESS phono stage
    RUSS ANDREWS powermax mains cables
    ISOTEK POLARIS mains block
    ATLAS Speaker cables
    CREEK OBH21 SE head amp
    BRIANS silver hybrid ics

I'm jamie.

how is the tonearm tube sitting? level with the platter?
    as a rough guide for ball park vta the bottom of the cartridge should be parallel with the record.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Clive.

No experience of your gear to help directly but what is the cause of your concern? Does the setup look wrong or is the sound not dialled in to your liking.

It is possible to adjust vta by using a different thickness mat. I am one of the few who is not convinced that mats have a sound other than as a means of varying vta. Look for the arm/cartridge to be level as per Jamie's advice and then adjust tracking force to dial in the sound.

I'm peter.

Cheers Jamie and cre009
    Thought I would post some photos my mate said the cart is definitely not straight
    What's your thoughts
    This is the closest I could get without blurring the images

Muchos gracios gringos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HEGEL H100 integrated amp
    REGA rp6/exact cart
    REGA Apollo r CD
    NEAT ELITE SE loudspeakers
    BERESFORD bushmaster mk2 dac
    Powered by a DEBEN tracer battery
    Mc5000 klotz ms audio cables(cheers Brian).
    REGA couple 2 ics
    JEZ ARKLESS phono stage
    RUSS ANDREWS powermax mains cables
    ISOTEK POLARIS mains block
    ATLAS Speaker cables
    CREEK OBH21 SE head amp
    BRIANS silver hybrid ics

I'm Clive.

If the tonearm is raised from parallel the result is slightly brighter treble. The reverse has the opposite effect and will reduce treble.

In general this can be overcome by adjusting tracking force where increased tracking force will add to the bass but if too much will be flabby. Decreasing tracking force will brighten the sound but too much will cause the sound to be thin with a risk of mistracking.

The impact of all this will also depend on the tolerance of the cartridge. Some cartridges can be fairly forgiving and provide some latitude but I have no idea about the Hana's.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

First of all, are you happy with what you're hearing? If so leave alone.

However some cartridges are fussy about VTA, and the Rega arm is not designed to be able to easily adjust this (the designer, Roy Gandy doesn't believe VTA is important). For most cartridges the starting point is to have the arm axis parallel with the record surface, or in your case the bottom of the cartridge parallel with the record. Looking at your photos, the pivot end of the arm appears to be a little too low - but it's not clear if the bottom of the cartridge body is parallel to the top (where it is bolted to the 'headshell').

How is the arm attached to the turnable? Is there a grub screw to fix the bearing column to an arm collar? If so, try raising the rear of the arm by say 1mm.
    If however the arm height is controlled by washers fitted to the arm collar, then the only way to adjust arm height and VTA will be by fitting extra washers or one that is thicker.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

If you are happy with the sound, then leave well alone. If you feel that the arm needs to be parallel, then Rega do offer 2mm 3 point spacers to raise the rear of the arm.

I'm Geoff.

VTA adjustment spacers are available in sets from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rega-3-poi...wAAOSwgZ1Xq4aa

These are easy to fit, but I'd suggest removing the cartridge before doing any work on the turntable.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

it does look a bit tail down to me as well,what cartridge did you use before the hana? is the hana a taller cartridge?
    if the answers yes and by a lot then you most probably should raise the tonearm up to compensate.

a handy tip to check ballpark vta is to get some graph paper and cut a credit card size piece of it and stick it to some cardboard,you can then place it on the spindle side of the head shell and eye through to see how level the head shell is.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Christopher.

I used an Ortofon 2m Black on an RP6 for a while. Quite a bit deeper body than the Exact. I used the Michell VTA adjuster which has the advantage that you don't have to remove the arm (once the adjuster is fitted) to adjust VTA for different cartridges. I didn't detect any obvious difference in sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast