+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open and closed back headphone differenes

I'm Tim.

Default Open and closed back headphone differenes

What's the sound differences between a closed back headphones and an open backed headphones ?.

I'm Neil.

Open backed headphones sound more open, and closed back sound more closed (he he, but true!).

The only reason to use closed back headphones is to block sound coming in, or sound coming out, all things being equal, open backs are going to sound better.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

I agree with Neil in principle. My only other point is perhaps obvious in that, as with any design choice, you can find great or poor examples of each at the same price point, and as with speakers the "voice" of your cans is very much a matter of personal taste. With most music that I listen to I prefer my Denon AH-D2000s, which are closed back, to my open backed HD 600s. The former are upfront in their presentation, warmer and have deeper and better defined bass - certainly not the so-called "enhanced" bloated Beats By Dr Boom sound, simply full - the latter being laid back and more analytical.

So, if this difference is at least partly caused by the back being closed or open, then on a personal level it's not necessarily a bad thing. You'll want to listen to a few to find your own answer.

Pete

I'm Russell.

It's true that on average open back 'phones have an open, in the room presentation. I've got a pair of the Shure, 840's I think? But, I use them to record, and monitor live sound, so I got the 'phones I can do both. They sound plenty great for enjoying music, but are tough enough and sealed up for studio use as well. Unless you live alone, others can hear what you're listening to on open headphones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Tim.

Thanks for the input guy's

I'm Anthony.

I use Grado open back and find less pressure on the ear in general compared to closed back. Also find that the stage presentation is better and the sound is more air filled.
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

+ Reply to Thread