+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I get a SUT?

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No, the SQ will not suffer. The way you have it connected is correct. The earth post is there if needed in other set-ups which are earthed differently. In your system removing the extra earth wire cured the hum, so that's correct.
    Thanks Andrew

I'm Timothy.

Or just buy the Dynavector P75 phono stage....Yes it will be another small box and wall wart.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Life is about to get interesting. The Rothwell Headspace is the piece of kit that I've had in my head for years thinking "If only someone made something that ........................", but didn't know anyone did. I'd considered SUT's but they seem a bit too bespoke, being tailored to a particular cartridge.

I want to hear what it does with my AT33 PTG/II, but more importantly to see what happens with an SAE 1000LT that I have. A HOMC (2,5mV @ 1kHz, 5cm/sec), an output too much for the MC input on my phono stage and not enough for the MM input. The MC input gives an extremely lively but ultimately slightly over driven distorted sound, whilst the MM input sounds a bit ordinary and lifeless. This is a staggeringly capable cartridge that can deliver dynamic range in spades when partnered well. I'm hoping the Headspace will give me the flexibility to adjust matters.

Just had a dip into the toy money pot and ordered one, delivery around Wednesday. We'll see.
    It should overload in the same way as your MC input! Either the head amp or the MM stage overloading with the 50mV or so output from the head amp... HOMC's are also usually designed to work into 47K and most head amps have an input loading of 100R - 1K unless modified for 47K loading.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    It should overload in the same way as your MC input! Either the head amp or the MM stage overloading with the 50mV or so output from the head amp... HOMC's are also usually designed to work into 47K and most head amps have an input loading of 100R - 1K unless modified for 47K loading.
    The Headspace has a 10dB gain setting and it won't be overloaded, nor will the following MM stage. 10dB is a touch on the hot side for a 2.5mV cartridge but will be fine.
    The Headspace also has adjustable input impedance and the 1500 ohm setting (the highest) should be ok too. I'm not exactly sure what the source impedance of the SAE cartridge is but I think a 1500 ohm load will be ok.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The Headspace has a 10dB gain setting and it won't be overloaded, nor will the following MM stage. 10dB is a touch on the hot side for a 2.5mV cartridge but will be fine.
    The Headspace also has adjustable input impedance and the 1500 ohm setting (the highest) should be ok too. I'm not exactly sure what the source impedance of the SAE cartridge is but I think a 1500 ohm load will be ok.
    Aha yes that should be ok then. Not many head amps have a setting for such low gain... That should give about 8mV then.
    The 1500R setting is still a bit low IMO for a HOMC but it will certainly work yes.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Adam.

Do I get a SUT?

this may be of interest
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...t-MC-amplifier
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Richard.

Thanks Adam,
    That certainly piqued my interest and ticked the 'something a bit out of the ordinary' box that I'm a sucker for ;-). I got in touch with David via Facebook and ordered one which arrived this morning. Only managed a quick listen before work having re-fitted my DV DV20X2L last night in anticipation of it arriving.
    Initial impressions are 'Holy moley!'. I'll write something a bit more descriptive once I've had a couple of evenings to a. get the cartridge aligned properly and b. a few more hours to listen to it.
    Thanks for the heads up..
    Rich

I'm Richard.

Well, it has certainly done the trick. I've now got my DVX20L going through the 'Little Gate' into the MM stage of my NAD M12 pre and there is no more noise, no hiss and plenty of gain. I've never heard such low background noise from LP before and this little box just seems to let everything the cartridge is doing flow through with nothing added and nothing taken away. I've found myself digging through my collection for stuff I've not listened to in years and hearing it all as if anew. It has become a total addiction over the last few days. The music just flows and jumps out of the speakers at you with a MASSIVE soundstage, incredible agility in the bass and that natural sweet treble that only the best analogue is capable of. Bearing in mind that this ultimately replaces the Dynavector P-300 phono stage in my old L-300 which was no slouch, this is a great big step up.

If you've got a good MC and a good MM input on your amp, I can't recommend this enough. What you get out of it is well above what you'll pay for it.

If I have one minor little gripe it's getting at the batteries to take them out for charging. I made the mistake of leaving it switched on overnight the first night and by the evening of the next day it had run flat (although it's also possible that the batteries were not fully charged to begin with). The box has to be unscrewed to take the batteries out to charge them which is a little fiddly, but now that I've ordered a couple of spare 9V batteries of much higher capacity, I'll not have to sit without vinyl again for an evening and the replacements should last a lot longer between charges.
    Rich

RothwellAudio Guest

So that's a "no" then - you don't get a SUT.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy View Post
    Well, it has certainly done the trick. I've now got my DVX20L going through the 'Little Gate' into the MM stage of my NAD M12 pre and there is no more noise, no hiss and plenty of gain. I've never heard such low background noise from LP before and this little box just seems to let everything the cartridge is doing flow through with nothing added and nothing taken away. I've found myself digging through my collection for stuff I've not listened to in years and hearing it all as if anew. It has become a total addiction over the last few days. The music just flows and jumps out of the speakers at you with a MASSIVE soundstage, incredible agility in the bass and that natural sweet treble that only the best analogue is capable of. Bearing in mind that this ultimately replaces the Dynavector P-300 phono stage in my old L-300 which was no slouch, this is a great big step up.

If you've got a good MC and a good MM input on your amp, I can't recommend this enough. What you get out of it is well above what you'll pay for it.

If I have one minor little gripe it's getting at the batteries to take them out for charging. I made the mistake of leaving it switched on overnight the first night and by the evening of the next day it had run flat (although it's also possible that the batteries were not fully charged to begin with). The box has to be unscrewed to take the batteries out to charge them which is a little fiddly, but now that I've ordered a couple of spare 9V batteries of much higher capacity, I'll not have to sit without vinyl again for an evening and the replacements should last a lot longer between charges.
    Hi Richard, i'm pleased you like it.
    your findings are exactly what I found. It's an incredible bargain for the price point and a total no brainer. As i said previously in a post, it gave my Hashimoto HM-7 SUT an extremely close race!
    If you are finding the internal battery approach a pain, David also offers a unit with a PSU which of course illuminates the need for Battery.
    I must say I have not had an issue with leaving it on after playing, and the batteries have lasted a long time... I reckon the bright blue light on the front may give you a clue it's still on
    An uncomplicated, very good value for money approach that gives amazing vinyl playback results. Simple!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast