+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade 2 listed

I'm Dave.

Default Grade 2 listed

We have a Grade 2 listed, 15th century farmhouse in need of replacement windows.

I got up the scaffolding a couple of weeks ago to 'touch up' some paintwork I had done two years ago. Well, that was the intention but when I started to scrape back, I have two windows which are now completely rotten and way beyond repair. We have had a couple of local craftsmen in to give us a quote and meantime we have filled in all the forms for the Council to get permission to replace like with like. It won't be cheap but there is no alternative as the windows will be seen from the road and are unlike any modern windows.

Now, the rear of the house has a lot of windows and doors. All the windows are cheapo 1980s windows and are all rotting away and need to be replaced a couple at a time. Does anyone know what the Council will want us to do as we can't replace like with like when the originals are 1980s junk ? I'd love to have aluminium, double glazed as the modern ones look more like wood than wood and will protect us from the winds coming across the fields but that would be a step too far for the Council.

Any thoughts ?

I'm Grant.

ask them. if your pleasant and ask for advice they are usually happy to help. They are all different attitude wise as to what they allow but depends on when it was classified re the 80's stuff
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

I don't think there was any permission for the 1980s windows, the previous owner just did them because the originals had long gone. We haven't any paperwork to show whether he did or didn't. He did a lot of work as the house was derelict when he bought it and some was OK'd, some wasn't .

I was just wondering what a Council will want to do about replacing these windows. The originals at the front will be replaced like for like, that I understand but when the old windows at the back are 1980s, cheap as chips, what will the Council want ?

I am reluctant to ask until I have a better idea - can of worms and all that.

BTW. How come you are always first to reply with words of wisdom ?

I'm Martin.

15th century? That is older than a lot of countries.

If it were me I'd just fit some uPVC on the back, no-one will ever see it. If they ever do come out to check just say they were already in there when you bought the place. I know someone who has used that dodge to good effect a few times.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I don't think there was any permission for the 1980s windows, the previous owner just did them because the originals had long gone. We haven't any paperwork to show whether he did or didn't. He did a lot of work as the house was derelict when he bought it and some was OK'd, some wasn't .

I was just wondering what a Council will want to do about replacing these windows. The originals at the front will be replaced like for like, that I understand but when the old windows at the back are 1980s, cheap as chips, what will the Council want ?

I am reluctant to ask until I have a better idea - can of worms and all that.

BTW. How come you are always first to reply with words of wisdom ?
    i'm only guessing but they may want the originals put back unfortunately as no permissions was given for them to be replaced with whats there. But I'm kinda going on class 1 here... class 2 in some areas is pretty lax especially for this kind of thing.

You could take pics etc of the old ones in detail and just replace like for like. If, and its a biggish if they kick up you can honestly say you replaced like for like as in the class 2 docs, and claim it was THEIR fault the house had wrong spec in first place and that it should have been checked before any sale etc by them. then walk away quickly whistling
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I would ask first as it's easier to start off on the right foot and try to get what you want. If you act first and they don't like it you could struggle to get them on side. Sealed units are date stamped so it's unlikely you could claim they were there when you moved in.

I'm Alan.

Having heard tales from 'Grade' listings, I suspect Grade 1 but I can't remember properly, I'd say fuck 'em.

The conditions set and restrictions given for 'original' materials were so onerous as to be ridiculously expensive.
    With groundworks particularly once the work was done no one was any the wiser afterwards.

YMMV

I'm Paul.

I find a lot of this preservation stuff beyond comical. Most stately homes are complete 'bitsa's' with a hodgepodge of whatever the residents could afford or liked at the time. To be as anal as councils and english heritage are now, to the point of letting buildings fall down for the want of the right grade of cement, is plain daft. Check it wont luck bloody awful and let people get on with it. They have to live in it after all.

I'm bob.

Hi Dave, if you're still working on this I highly recommend RATIONEL and also VROGUM windows. I researched it for ages, and we had ours fitted by M A Simmonds. Haggle! R

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I'm Dave.

Hi, Thank you for the info. We have gone with a local man, just 100 yards up the road. He has done work for many local pubs, churches, houses and even steam engines, as we have a very active steam engine fraternity here.

My Wife submitted plans, photos, specifications, drawings and pledges, to the council, as requested. The answer was that they don't need all that if it is 'like for like' and only two windows. Basically, they are trusting us to do a sympathetic job. Pity they didn't tell us that at the outset..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast