+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Croft or Sonneteer?

I'm eddie.

Default Croft or Sonneteer?

I've been following this forum and I enjoy reading the comments. I'm rather impressed with the knowledge and enthusiasm of everyone who contributes here.

I'm putting together a new system, and because I live in Los Angeles, it's impossible to audition all of the equipment I'm interested in together.

I listen only to vinyl, acoustic Jazz, acoustic Blues and Chamber music. I value warmth, and a natural analog sound above all else.

I have a few options regarding amplification. First option: Croft Phono Integrated or Sonneteer Alabaster?

Speakers will be the Graham Audio LS3/5.

Any and all suggestions, opinions, advice, and experiences welcome.

Thank you!

I'm Shaun.

Eddie, my personal choice of the two would be the Croft. Glen's amplifiers tend to have a nice warmth to them and unbelievable detail resolution. If you are not familiar with them though be warned that the quality of the actual black box may not be up to the solidity of what you are used to.

Highly recommended with reservations.

I'm James.

If you are using the Graham Audio LS3/5 speakers then I would certainly recommend the Croft amplifier especially if you are using a vinyl front end. The Croft phono stage and mosfet OTL amplification stage will bring a vividness and warmth the music and will drive the Graham Audios very well.

If you could stretch to the Croft 25 separate preamplifier and Series 7 power amplifier you will have something even better and may well never want to upgrade again. This combination would be superb and indeed I have heard it with Graham speakers although not the model you are using.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm eddie.

Default Thank you!

Thank you! One of the reasons I like Croft, and virtually all the British gear I've owned and auditioned, is the fact they are more concerned with substance over style.

The other combinations I'm considering are:

Quicksilver Integrated, 20w, 8 el84 + Puresound P10 or Croft RIAA.

Sonneteer Orton + Croft RIAA R (500 ohm output impedance works with the 10k input impedance of Orton.)

Sugden A21 + Puresound P10 or Croft RIAA (Sugden has a 50K input impedance.)

Croft Series 7 & Micro 25 or 25R, modified with the zero gain cathode follower.

I've had several informative emails exchanges with Glenn Croft, Guy Sergeant, Haider Bahrani, and Patrick Miller. Lovely gentleman all!

I've heard the Croft gear and loved it. I felt the Series 7 Micro 25 had a bit too much gain, but Mr. Croft told me the zero gain cathode follower modification would alleviate that. However, the US, the distributor is a bit of a sod. He responded with a simple "no" to my request to order the Croft Micro25 with the mod. I have no problem ordering direct from the UK. The reputation of Croft gear and its reliability is impeccable.

Those are my options. I may just buy the Croft Phono Integrated now, and upgrade later, but the Series 7/Micro 25 with the zero gain cathode follower is at the top of my list.

Thanks again!

I'm Shaun.

Yes Eddie I've had two Croft combinations over the past ten years and they have both had gain problems.

I'm Dave.

I have been selling Croft for way over 30 years and it has always provided unbeatable sound per Pound.

I regularly ship Croft to the USA and Canada, without VAT of course.

+ Reply to Thread