+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: MCRU Phonostage Bake-Off - Huddersfield 06/08/17

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Would have been interesting if this bake off was done blind?
    Ah, yes. Very interesting indeed

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Would have been interesting if this bake off was done blind?
    or gagged!!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

I now fit extra loading sockets to all my phono stages, as I think it gives the most flexible way of altering the loading to whatever you want.

All that's needed is a phono plug fitted with the required components, or a set of plugs.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I may be completely wrong here, but I thought the optimum loading for a Denon 103 is 47 ohms.
    The Denon DL-103 has a source impedance of 40 ohms according to Denon's specs, so a load of 47 ohms would be very low and over 5dB of signal would be lost across the cartridge's internal impedance (as opposed to appearing across the phonostage's input).
    Using the rule of thumb of having the load impedance ten times greater than the source impedance would suggest 400 ohms as a suitable load.
    The DL 103R has a lower source impedance of 14 ohms and its load impedance should be about 140 ohms or more.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    The Denon DL-103 has a source impedance of 40 ohms according to Denon's specs, so a load of 47 ohms would be very low and over 5dB of signal would be lost across the cartridge's internal impedance (as opposed to appearing across the phonostage's input).
    Using the rule of thumb of having the load impedance ten times greater than the source impedance would suggest 400 ohms as a suitable load.

The DL 103R has a lower source impedance of 14 ohms and its load impedance should be about 140 ohms or more.
    Agreed - I use 390 Ohm loading with my 103, but prefer between 25 to 30x with my EMTs (source impedance 24 Ohm, so a load of 600 - 820 Ohm). For all my Ortofons I use 100 Ohm.
    Barry

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    how hard would it be to make it switchable,my nakamichi has 3 loading options,mind you,you'd struggle to hear the difference.
    I've always fitted extra parallel sockets for loading plugs on all my phono stages as it offers complete flexibility in the choice of loading. IMO it is also not a good idea to have the usual tiny DIL (dual in line) switch units in use at such a sensitive low level and low impedance part of the signal path... especially as use, age and dirt take their toll...
    Cartridges do vary considerably in their sensitivity to changing loading.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've always fitted extra parallel sockets for loading plugs on all my phono stages as it offers complete flexibility in the choice of loading. IMO it is also not a good idea to have the usual tiny DIL (dual in line) switch units in use at such a sensitive low level and low impedance part of the signal path... especially as use, age and dirt take their toll...
    Cartridges do vary considerably in their sensitivity to changing loading.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Sex?
    i'll take the bakeoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678