+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: MCRU Phonostage Bake-Off - Huddersfield 06/08/17

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    Exactly. I once had 3 phonostages, 4 SUTs, 6 cartridges, and a couple of preamps in the house .... and the 'ranking order' of each varied depending on partnering equipment. Phonostages (and SUTs) are the most difficult things to get right ime. All that, coupled with the clear pre-dispositions of key participants, makes any worthwhile conclusions from forum reports impossible imo.
    Plus the fact you need to try any piece of kit in your own system to get a handle on what it really sounds like. Listening to equipment hooked up to an unfamiliar system in unfamiliar surroundings only gets you so far in evaluating an audio component.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Deleted.

Default MCRU Phonostage Bake-Off - Huddersfield 06/08/17

Quote Originally Posted by PalsHuffMor View Post
    I just say listen for yourself. That's why I like bake-offs.
    Listen for yourself
    - is the best advice.

I don't think bake-offs are particularly good for forming opinions though, no better than a show at any rate.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

As someone mentioned earlier it is important when making Nth degree judgements that all phono stages are capable of presenting the same loading to the cartridge in use, and indeed that the same cart is in fact used in all instances. Precise level matching is also important.

The accuracy of the RIAA EQ is an important area of phono stages which is often overlooked... Accuracy and neutrality should be the goal but it is very easy for a less scrupulous/careful manufacturer to engineer in a bit of bass and treble boost to make everything more "exciting" and "hi-fi" An adjunct to this is that some units may have the IEC update to the RIAA curve to cut subsonics below 20Hz while many will not. This is certainly audible!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    - is the best advice.

I don't think bake-offs are particularly good for forming opinions though, no better than a show at any rate.
    I find nearly all bake-offs to be a good deal more informative than shows. Ideally, 4 or 5 people, bringing the kit they already own, in a domestic environment, no manufacturers or dealers needed.

And a bit of scran and a couple of beers...

I'm Martin.

I suppose if you want to compare a specific type of component the advantage to a bake off is that you have one system that stays the same and you swap in the components under evaluation, whereas that doesn't happen at a show as each system and room is entirely different.

Still not as good as trying it a home but I think home trial is available for most of these phono stages.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

RothwellAudio Guest

Yes, I also think that this kind of comparison has limited value. Consider for example a phonostage that has limited headroom. Using a cartridge with a higher than average output could cause problems whereas a cartridge with lower than average output would not. Such a phonostage might come out as the best of the bunch or the worst of the bunch depending on the cartridge used.
    Or what about a phonostage with a less-than-stellar noise performance? With a higher than average output cartridge the noise might go unnoticed (particularly in a room full of muttering audiophiles) but with a particularly low output cartridge listened to in a quiet environment the noise could become objectionable.
    Personally, I think this type of bake-off might be fun but as for making absolute declarations regarding the products' relative merits...? Maybe not.

I'm Steve.

Sounds like an interesting day out. Oliver's overview was excellent, thanks for writing that Oliver. The Paradise phono stage would definitely been a one to throw into the arena. Having heard Alan Towell's I can confirm that it is something special. Some pictures would have been nice here as I no longer frequent Audio Talk.
    Without some kind of a vote as to how the majority of attendees ranked the different devices an all out winner has yet to be announced. All very subjective given that people tastes, hearing and expectations a different. It would have also been interesting to hear a comparison between some on board phono stages and stand alone devices. Well done to Dave for hosting the event.

I'm Kevin.

What can be better than having a day out, meeting new people, hearing some music played through some different gear and then having a bit of food and a couple of beers?

We all hear things differently, and want different things so for me bake offs are all a bit of fun.

It is interesting to see the NVA phono 2 being highly rated by the likes of Nick Gorham. It must be a good bit of kit.

It's a shame the bake off was held in a different country as I would have liked to hear some of the kit, although it sounds like the music is not something I am familiar with.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    What can be better than having a day out, meeting new people, hearing some music played through some different gear and then having a bit of food and a couple of beers?
    Sex?

I'm James.

Was Firebottle there, have not seen any comment from Alan yet?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast