+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MCRU Phonostage Bake-Off - Huddersfield 06/08/17

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Everywhere else mate. Mainly Audio Talk.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure about 'flooding in' . I've just had a look at the AT forum and other than the background noise from the usual culprits there are a couple of opinions that rate the NVA 2 highly - though it's not clear if this is in an absolute sense or in a 'at its price' sense.
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm not sure about 'flooding in' . I've just had a look at the AT forum and other than the background noise from the usual culprits there are a couple of opinions that rate the NVA 2 highly - though it's not clear if this is in an absolute sense or in a 'at its price' sense.
    Ye, I see what you're saying.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Christopher.

Nick Gorham & David Brook both give glowing feedback about the NVA stages. Are they the usual culprits?

I'm Deleted.

Default MCRU Phonostage Bake-Off - Huddersfield 06/08/17

Did you miss the bit where I wrote 'other than'?

.....there are a couple of opinions that rate the NVA 2 highly - though it's not clear if this is in an absolute sense or in a 'at its price' sense.
    So DB and NG would be the two (couple) opinions....

(Dave Brooks deserves a meddle for forgiveness though considering how much abuse he has received from one of the 'usual suspects')
    Account Deleted

I'm Christopher.

Did you miss the bit where I wrote 'other than'?
    I don't think so. Because David & Nick's feedback regarding the NVA stages was glowing in both respects - value for money and absolute sound quality.

I'm Deleted.

Default MCRU Phonostage Bake-Off - Huddersfield 06/08/17

Speaking as a dedicated NVA owner you mean.

are they the usual culprits?
    doesn't make any blooming sense if you actually read the post - don't let that stop you though....
    Account Deleted

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    I have the Furutech ADL GT40a which I believe you were listening to here. I really like the device as a multi purpose unit that will perform as a high quality ADC, headphone amp and playback pre amp. I previously commented on its performance as a Phono Stage in a thread at Vinyl Engine where I remarked that quality was a bit below that of the Cambridge Audio Phono stage I also own.

It is no surprise to me that it is outclassed by other dedicated phono stages but reviewing only as a phono stage does ignore other stuff which as a unit it does very well indeed.
    I also own this unit and agree totally with you about it being nothing special from a phono point of view especially when compared to quality kit. As a multi use package it is however very good.

I use it primarily for digitising vinyl and for which it does a great job.

As to the results of the Bake Off and the fact the main focus of the comparisons was alway to be FB & NVA, I doubt there will ever be a concensous unless the reviewers were to be totally independent.

Anyway choice of kit should be down to personal preference as synergy is always a critical factor - as noted even the music is a factor.

No doubt the rants will continue - its a pity as from my perspective they are not adding value to the products or suppliers concerned and are just making the whole discussion environment less interesting (or should i say repetitive and boring).

Mel
    Last edited by Cycleallday; 07-08-2017 at 10:34.

I'm Neil.

We have read this all before, same kit, same comparisons and cough same conclusions. How can any conclusions be drawn ? No system information, no info regarding warm up times, were all items run in fully before hand. Were cartridge loadings adjusted for each phonostage. Did the cartridge picked suit all units tested, where in the room did the listeners sit, what kind of room was it, what music was used and I could go on.

Frankly I don't think this type of setting has great value as it has less than ideal set up and time spent and listening off axis or standing up does not paint the whole picture, and in some cases provides a view based on other factors, speakers off axis performance, system synergy, room issues and I could go on.
    Regards Neil

I'm Christopher.

Speaking as a dedicated NVA owner you mean.

doesn't make any blooming sense if you actually read the post - don't let that stop you though....
    Speaking in the interests of clarity and accuracy.

I've long since stopped being precious about the kit that I own. Some of it is NVA, some of it is not. I don't go out to recommend any of it to anyone, I just say listen for yourself. That's why I like bake-offs.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    We have read this all before, same kit, same comparisons and cough same conclusions. How can any conclusions be drawn ? No system information, no info regarding warm up times, were all items run in fully before hand. Were cartridge loadings adjusted for each phonostage. Did the cartridge picked suit all units tested, where in the room did the listeners sit, what kind of room was it, what music was used and I could go on.

Frankly I don't think this type of setting has great value as it has less than ideal set up and time spent and listening off axis or standing up does not paint the whole picture, and in some cases provides a view based on other factors, speakers off axis performance, system synergy, room issues and I could go on.
    Exactly. I once had 3 phonostages, 4 SUTs, 6 cartridges, and a couple of preamps in the house .... and the 'ranking order' of each varied depending on partnering equipment. Phonostages (and SUTs) are the most difficult things to get right ime. All that, coupled with the clear pre-dispositions of key participants, makes any worthwhile conclusions from forum reports impossible imo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast