+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The perils of modifying gear

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    As long as its your opinion . I might add ive never heard any with mains cable either but others have, but that is just my opinion
    No I'm stating it as fact not opinion. In ALL situations where anyone reports differences from mains cables they are wrong. As I haven't jumped into someone's pro mains cables thread to "piss on their chips" I believe it is OK for me to say that in this instance.. I won't even start on what I think of as the ridiculous ignominy of having to defend 200 years of science and the laws of physics against the subjective imagination of audiophiles! Heresy and a witch hunt in reverse...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    No I'm stating it as fact not opinion. In ALL situations where anyone reports differences from mains cables they are wrong. As I haven't jumped into someone's pro mains cables thread to "piss on their chips" I believe it is OK for me to say that in this instance.. I won't even start on what I think of as the ridiculous ignominy of having to defend 200 years of science and the laws of physics against the subjective imagination of audiophiles! Heresy and a witch hunt in reverse...
    I hear a lot of difference with my mains cables, especially when they are plugged in....

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    I hear a lot of difference with my mains cables, especially when they are plugged in....
    Don't forget. They are directional. If you have them the wrong way round they won't fit!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

I've known times in the past I've spent hours tuning active crossovers it to sound what seemed great at the time, late at night after hours of tweaking and using only specific test tracks, only to try it the next day, rested and on different music, and finding it so awful it seemed beyond belief that I could have thought it anything other than truly dire the night before!
    Lol. Been there myself (passive crossovers though).

I only tweak crossovers at reasonably high volume levels now because of the Fletcher–Munson curves.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    After my recent crossover mod which I have lived with for a few weeks, after having spent a few months with cheap components of the same value, I am seriously impressed by the improvement foo parts have made.

So much so I am trying hard not to spend stupid money on some really silly stupidly expensive caps.
    What caps are those? (I'm still searching for the perfect but not too expensive crossover cap)

I'm Hugo.

Among other good things, the renowned physicist Carlo Rovelli says "the foundation of science is an acute awareness of our ignorance". To use a well-worn phrase, true science is full of "known unknowns" and anyone disputing that we don't yet know everything is merely betraying their own lack of intuition, and glaring confirmation bias. Science does not stand still - we would not have progressed beyond Faraday and Ohm if scientists had not been curious to explore observations that science at the time could not explain.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    As long as its your opinion . I might add ive never heard any with mains cable either but others have, but that is just my opinion
    Yes, I am actually going to agree with you guys on this one. Although my partner Sue and I have clearly heard differences with interconnects and loudspeaker cables, mains cables are a tad strange and we have failed to detect any difference.
    What I would like to know is that if Sue and I have heard a difference, have we both heard the same difference..? Scientifically I guess there is no way to ever know but she has described similar differences to me.

I'm Shaun.

Maybe someone could answer me a question that has been niggling at me for a while...?

When a so called audiophile cable is made, it is apparently from a linear crystal of copper...? This copper is drawn out into a wire in one direction only so surely that may well affect the travel of electricity through that cable one way or the other...? In one direction it is going with the flow and in the other direction it is going against.

Surely this would make a difference on a molecular level...?

I'm Deleted.

Default The perils of modifying gear

Some cables are made from such copper but certainly not all. All wire is drawn in one direction irrespective of whether it is linear crystal or oxygen free (which almost all copper wire is these days apparently). As for your hypothesis, well I'm afraid there is absolutely zero scientific fact in it and if it were true would rather rewrite the rule book.
    Account Deleted

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Maybe someone could answer me a question that has been niggling at me for a while...?

When a so called audiophile cable is made, it is apparently from a linear crystal of copper...? This copper is drawn out into a wire in one direction only so surely that may well affect the travel of electricity through that cable one way or the other...? In one direction it is going with the flow and in the other direction it is going against.

Surely this would make a difference on a molecular level...?
    Mains electricity travels in both directions (audio signals do too). What you suggest is cables having an almost diode like characteristic. No mate!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast