+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The perils of modifying gear

I'm Michael.

Default The perils of modifying gear

I have done many modifications to amps, cdp's and power supplies over the years. It can become addictive and the need for the next fix overwhelming.

It is hard to not think every mod is an improvement, often putting things back to stock is the only way to prove to yourself that you are not imaging things.

Most mods bring forth extra musical detail and going down that road can bring disappointment. All that detail has to be processed by the brain leading to listener fatigue and ultimately the system gets played less. I have been guilty of this and it is a relief to finally take a step back and realise what has been going on. When the system "disappears" you know you have cracked it.

What are the collectives view on this ?

I'm Deleted.

Not just when modifying gear, but also when assessing it in general, it's easy to obsess over specific aspects at the expense of the greater picture - that's one of the problems with having specific reference tracks.
    Account Deleted

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Not just when modifying gear, but also when assessing it in general, it's easy to obsess over specific aspects at the expense of the greater picture - that's one of the problems with having specific reference tracks.
    Also we can all be easily fooled by our own brain/ear interface, what mood we're in, expectation bias etc etc hence people believing they can hear differences between mains cables etc. Other examples being when trying to design a speaker crossover by ear (not a good idea)... I've known times in the past I've spent hours tuning active crossovers it to sound what seemed great at the time, late at night after hours of tweaking and using only specific test tracks, only to try it the next day, rested and on different music, and finding it so awful it seemed beyond belief that I could have thought it anything other than truly dire the night before!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Grant.

now now Jez, some folk do hear differences..in fact most do, although I will grant you that some are expectation bias.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    now now Jez, some folk do hear differences..in fact most do, although I will grant you that some are expectation bias.
    Not with mains cables they don't. Entirely imagination and that's a fact. It's not even up for debate for me and I will always say to anyone and everyone claiming to hear a difference from a mains cable that they are simply wrong. Carry on....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Grant.

As long as its your opinion . I might add ive never heard any with mains cable either but others have, but that is just my opinion
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

They used to burn blasphemers and witches. I think that had something to do with expectation bias too. Not sure quite what they expected though?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Deleted.

I entirely agree with Jez regarding the designing of speaker crossovers entirely by ear. In my experience this creates speakers that are very program dependant - good (remarkable even) on some stuff but really bloody awful on other music.
    Account Deleted

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Also we can all be easily fooled by our own brain/ear interface, what mood we're in, expectation bias etc etc hence people believing they can hear differences between mains cables etc. Other examples being when trying to design a speaker crossover by ear (not a good idea)... I've known times in the past I've spent hours tuning active crossovers it to sound what seemed great at the time, late at night after hours of tweaking and using only specific test tracks, only to try it the next day, rested and on different music, and finding it so awful it seemed beyond belief that I could have thought it anything other than truly dire the night before!
    Whilst measurements can be a very good guide to allow mass production of a speaker, it is rare to find a manufacturer that goes that extra yard and individually listens to each speaker, not that that is wrong in my opinion. An assembly of parts unless extremely carefully chosen with consistency, will otherwise be inconsistent.

Delving for a minute into a part which is not part of a speaker, but never the less an example,is a LM317. Whilst it is a widely used as a voltage or current regulator, how many manufacturers bother to listen to each brand of LM317 ? If you happen to have the time to look at internal schematics of each brand there are differences. ST for instance leave out a zener diode on the adjustment terminal, which happens certainly in the circuits I design, to be very beneficial indeed, Yet if I chose without listening I would succumb to the rationale of ... it will do, when clearly ST is the brand that sounds best.

Back to speakers, how many manufacturers will buy in 3 capacitors instead of one,or better still make their own capacitors- if the best calculated value is actually 5.8uf, no what they do is plumb straight for 6uf and say that's good enough, and probably add muttering - its only a speaker.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Justin.

After my recent crossover mod which I have lived with for a few weeks, after having spent a few months with cheap components of the same value, I am seriously impressed by the improvement foo parts have made.

So much so I am trying hard not to spend stupid money on some really silly stupidly expensive caps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast