+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Temple Audio Mono Amps

I'm Michael.

Default New Temple Audio Mono Amps

I've just noticed that Temple Audio have upgraded their Mono Amps with a new product. The amp is based around Texas Ins. chip and is Class D and outputs 70w with the supplied low noise switch mode supply. I am told the output can be increased to 100w with the right power input so different power supplies can be used. You can view the product here : http://www.templeaudio.net/monoblock.html#tabd
    Some folk on AOS have Temple Product although I myself don't. Thought they looked good value.

I'm wal.

Got 'em and, for £500 A pair, they are stunningly good. Powered by some hefty lead acids, they run my mate's 845 valve amp very close. The only difference is, he paid 3 times the price of these for the parts alone. It took him months to build it and it needed some massive casework. Two for the dual mono ht power supplies and one for the amp itself. He runs it into Lowther horns which are great, but unforgiving of lesser equipment. His amp was better, but that's as much to do with system context, and the mono's were definately not a weak link, just voiced differently (more like a 300B than an 845). Also, they are absolutely silent in operation and, don't change character with volume, when driving my recapped Rega Juras. Oh, and they go LOUD with ease! The only issue I would have, is that burning in can take longer than anything I've had previously. We are talking weeks rather than days. Out the box, they can sound a little grainy at first, but that starts to dissipate after about a week. Just leave them switched on, as they only chew up a few watts in idle.
    Last edited by walriley; 21-07-2018 at 23:51.
    Tonale CD2 mkII CD transport. DIY passive pre and Temple Audio Monoblocks. Rega DAC R. Rega Jura speakers.

I'm Alastair.

These came out last year. I have the previous version of the monoblocks that I have had for several years (4 of them in bi-amp configuration, powered by two 16AH LiFePO batteries). They sound excellent. I inquired with Temple Audio whether I would hear much of a difference with the 2017 version. John's reply included
    "There is an overall quality improvement with the new monoblock not just the power. But its quite slim. Its noticeably firmer and more controlled in the bass even at low power. And the treble remains very clear under bigger transients." and
    "Its difficult to say for certain whether it would be a substantial improvement in your system compared to the old model but everyone so far that has upgraded to the 2017 model has been more than happy. "

If you have not heard the Temple Audio monoblocks, I would certainly recommend a listen (they do a 60-day money back guarantee), especially with batteries. I have not yet been tempted to spend £1000 to upgrade.
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

+ Reply to Thread