+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is it with Naim users?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post

Going back to the original post, I'm amazed that anyone should be so obsessed about 'originality' that they could not see Naim's standard issue mains cable as what it is - a perfectly ordinary black OEM cable with moulded IEC and an MK 13A plug that anyone could put together for a fiver and nobody would know any different.
    And that wasn't the worst of it. One of my "buyers" wanted me to photograph the original Naim box and the polystyrene formers that surround the unit in the box. At first I thought that was half-way reasonable, because I assumed his concern was that the unit should be properly protected for shipping. With hindsight, though, I suspect it was nothing of the sort. I suspect that what he wanted was the total, immersive Naim experience that only comes if you can fondle the factory-fresh polystyrene formers while you listen to your favourite music!
    IB

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    And that wasn't the worst of it. One of my "buyers" wanted me to photograph the original Naim box and the polystyrene formers that surround the unit in the box. At first I thought that was half-way reasonable, because I assumed his concern was that the unit should be properly protected for shipping. With hindsight, though, I suspect it was nothing of the sort. I suspect that what he wanted was the total, immersive Naim experience that only comes if you can fondle the factory-fresh polystyrene formers while you listen to your favourite music!
    IB
    well I hope you told him where to go. That'll teach you to buy that crap in the first place
    Last edited by paulf-2007; 06-08-2017 at 10:21.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm John.

There's 'nowt so queer as folk.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    well I hope you told him where to go. That'll teach you to buy that crap in the first place.
    A robust attitude!
    In fact the CDX with its power supply were the only pieces of Naim equipment I have ever owned. I got them out of curiosity really, to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say it was very good. I don't think anyone could reasonably say otherwise. I suspect what it is that gets up peoples' noses about Naim is a sort of subliminal arrogance in the way they present themselves to the market; that and the fact that Naim adherents take themselves so damned seriously! In the end it was only that restless curiosity that most of us are guilty of that made me move it on in favour of an Audio Synthesis player and Micromega DAC combo. Well, that plus the fact that what the Naim kit sold for bought its replacement plus about a grand in change!
    IB

I'm Hugh.

I suspect what it is that gets up peoples' noses about Naim is a sort of subliminal arrogance in the way they present themselves to the market; that and the fact that Naim adherents take themselves so damned seriously!
    In a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I much prefer Crabtree 13A plugs to those made by MK. The cable clamp is more versatile and I prefer the screw connections to the pins. Unfortunately I don't think Crabtree are in business any more, and I think MK products are now made in China.

As long as the contact surface area is 6 - 10x the cross section area of the pin, and the contact force is at least 10N/mm2, there is no real advantage of 15A round pin plugs over the rectangular pin 13A types.

Agree about not locking the DIN plugs, but that doesn't explain why Naim recommend not locking the plugs.
    Crabtree are still in business and are part of the Electrium Group which includes Volex and Wylex.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

A robust attitude!
    In fact the CDX with its power supply were the only pieces of Naim equipment I have ever owned. I got them out of curiosity really, to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say it was very good. I don't think anyone could reasonably say otherwise. I suspect what it is that gets up peoples' noses about Naim is a sort of subliminal arrogance in the way they present themselves to the market; that and the fact that Naim adherents take themselves so damned seriously! In the end it was only that restless curiosity that most of us are guilty of that made me move it on in favour of an Audio Synthesis player and Micromega DAC combo. Well, that plus the fact that what the Naim kit sold for bought its replacement plus about a grand in change!
    IB
    i forgot to put a smiley, just edited with one before I read your post.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Yes, all of this hobby is a matter of personal taste. My SuperNait2 turned out to be a far sweeter and more 'organic' sounding thing than I'd expected, showing its overwhelmingly well-reviewed Hegel H160 predecessor in my system a clean set of heels in every respect. Someone else might hear my system and disagree profoundly with my description of its sound, but we are all different and that's OK.

Going back to the original post, I'm amazed that anyone should be so obsessed about 'originality' that they could not see Naim's standard issue mains cable as what it is - a perfectly ordinary black OEM cable with moulded IEC and an MK 13A plug that anyone could put together for a fiver and nobody would know any different. I don't think that Naim claim anything special about this cable - they do after all sell two different mains upgrade cables. Second hand audio buyers can certainly be overly picky - I once sold a used but boxed Squeezebox for £60 at an Audio Jumble and the buyer complained that it had a small scratch on top.
    Obviously a collector who prises requires originality. Collectors are a whole different kind of person, audiophiles are anoraks, collectors can often be much worse. Mix the two.....
    Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Obviously a collector who prises requires originality. Collectors are a whole different kind of person, audiophiles are anoraks, collectors can often be much worse. Mix the two.....
    An obsessive anorak? Doesn't bear thinking about!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123