+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Denon DL-103 tracking force

I'm Alex.

Default Denon DL-103 tracking force

I recently bought electronic scales to help me set up my cartridge tracking force. When I tested it on my Denon DL-103, I see that it is set at 2.61 grams. Is that okay, or is it too high?

I'm asking because I've just attended a "How to set your turntable" seminar, where it was explained that the optimal tracking force is around 1.8 grams.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Hugo.

I think that perhaps whoever gave that seminar should go back to school. Tracking force depends on the cartridge compliance and therefore varies considerably. For example, a Benz Glider does track at a recommended 1.8g, but a Miyajima Shilabe needs 3g. Vinyl Engine's Cartridge Database gives tracking force for the DL103 as 2.2 - 2.8g so you're pretty much spot-on.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I think that perhaps whoever gave that seminar should go back to school. Tracking force depends on the cartridge compliance and therefore varies considerably. For example, a Benz Glider does track at a recommended 1.8g, but a Miyajima Shilabe needs 3g. Vinyl Engine's Cartridge Database gives tracking force for the DL103 as 2.2 - 2.8g so you're pretty much spot-on.
    Thanks!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I agree. One should always follow the manufacturer's advice. I usually set up the VTF to be 0.25g below the manufacturer's maximum recommended figure, and then adjust this by ear.

One should never under-track a cartridge. Under-tracking can cause more damage to the record than over-tracking. Also the required cartridge tracking force depends not only on the compliance but also on the stylus profile.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread