+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Individual items or the Sum of All Parts?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    How True,

50 years of trying and less that a month of absolute happiness.

I'm in you're corner, that's for sure.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My trying/happiness ratio is also not great. Although there was one time when I thought I'd cracked it and was quite disappointed it was all over. Fortunately it turned out I hadn't cracked it after all. But I was worried for a while
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Macca / Struth,

I thought I had heard the best speakers ever possible at paul's house (refec)... Tannoy Canterbury's .... just Stunning.

But it's about room acoustics and of course many other things.

I Thought the Kef's 105/3 's were everything that could be..........but the sound Paul's Tannoy's made was nothing more than exceptional.

However, it is about room acoustics as well..... what suits!!!!

It's been a hard road.... that's for sure, to come to the right decision.

Hi-Fi. ........ me thinks....,, is not so easy!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Colin.

At some point you just have to be happy with what you've got - says my wife who's never complained

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

Individual items rather than the sum adding up to more than the individual performances in a synergistic way to me. I look at it as each item being potentially the weak link in the chain and try to avoid this where possible.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My trying/happiness ratio is also not great.
    I would say my happiness was at its greatest when I didn't even try. I just played what I had, and it sounded great.
    Then I discovered forums ...

IB

I'm Geoff.

If I had to start from nothing. I'd buy what I have now!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If I had to start from nothing. I'd buy what I have now!
    So would I (buy what I have now) - but that's with the benefit of hindsight and experience.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I rather like the exclusivity of much of the gear I own. I'd have a hell of a job trying to replace it.

The Ming Da MC-9 TVC pre-amp is almost unique in this country. My friend imported two after hearing mine and I rather suspect these three are the only examples in the UK. My Classic Tubes CT15 EL34 valve monos are incredibly rare and the VTL Deluxe valve pre-amp is never seen. Who else has a Pioneer PL-61 turntable? The Monarchy Audio power amps and DACs are seemingly unavailable nowadays. And when did anybody last see a Sugden Optima phono stage? Mk.II Tannoy Cheviots are mega scarce as well.

My Toshiba SR-370 turntable plus Mission 774 combo was rare, but seems to have gained popularity since I highlighted how good this pairing is.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Exclusivity doesn't interest me per se, though I do have a few 'less than common' items in my collection: EMT930st TT, arm and RIAA equalising amplifier; Revox C221 CD player, Breuer tone arm; Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm, and a Nagra IV reel-to-reel tape machine.

Oh, and my Tubehunter 'monoblocked' and upgraded 405 power amps are one pair of only two pairs made.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Exclusivity doesn't interest me per se
    None of my gear was bought because it was scarce. It just worked out that way. I think my Osawa OS-100T SUT is probably the rarest item I have. Should have kept my Technics EPC-305MC cartridge to complete the ensemble, they are like gold dust.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast