+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Individual items or the Sum of All Parts?

I'm Grant.

Rarity doesn't necessarily mean good of course. Just saying lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    I would say my happiness was at its greatest when I didn't even try. I just played what I had, and it sounded great.
    Then I discovered forums ...

IB
    And your purity was contaminated?

I don't think I ever had that purity to begin with. I was always looking for better even before I discovered forums. Now I'm still dissatisfied but I at least think I know why. Although in reality I probably don't.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I don't think I ever had that purity to begin with. I was always looking for better even before I discovered forums. Now I'm still dissatisfied but I at least think I know why. Although in reality I probably don't.
    Heh he! I'm not sure I would ever lay claim to purity, in any department.
    No, it's just that reading on forums makes you aware that there is a potentially open-ended path of improvement available to you, if you want it. Strange as it may seem, before forums, I didn't really think about that. I had my Rega Planar deck, Arcam Alpha CD player, my Audiolab integrated amp and some tiny Proac loudspeakers. I knew it was decent kit, so I assumed I was getting a high quality sound - and in fact by any reasonable standard I was. And that was enough. However, that was then .... This is now.
    IB

I'm Martin.

Heh he! I'm not sure I would ever lay claim to purity, in any department.
    No, it's just that reading on forums makes you aware that there is a potentially open-ended path of improvement available to you, if you want it. Strange as it may seem, before forums, I didn't really think about that. I had my Rega Planar deck, Arcam Alpha CD player, my Audiolab integrated amp and some tiny Proac loudspeakers. I knew it was decent kit, so I assumed I was getting a high quality sound - and in fact by any reasonable standard I was. And that was enough. However, that was then .... This is now.
    IB
    Not so much the reading for me as actually hearing some much better systems and realising that I had only been scratching the surface before. Had much the same experience with women, curiously enough. Of course forums are important as it gives you an automatic crowd of what the yanks call 'enablers'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

"Scratching the surface" with women ? Not a recommended strategy, I would have thought.

IB

I'm Geoff.

"Scratching the surface" with women ? Not a recommended strategy, I would have thought.

IB
    Often little else is required. Many seeming quite shallow.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

What is purity? I always thought that the holy grail were something like LS3/5A's until I heard them at a show and thought they were awful, thin, lacking in bass and no soundstage. Maybe it was just a bad dem, or amp or source or a combo of all. I suspect that anyone hearing my system would say that it is coloured (whatever that is) What exercises my mind is that we all have our own take on what sounds good and what we want to listen to. How can there ever be a definitive system that is all things to all 'philes?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    What is purity? ?
    Purity as in just enjoying the music and not thinking about how to make it sound better, or worrying that the bass is not deep enough, or tight enough, and so on.

A state of grace akin to Adam and Eve before they were bounced out of Eden, I suppose. Once you commit the original sin of trying to make it sound better, your purity is gone!
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

I feel sorry for those who may have some cash to spare, but don't know where to start and end up with a dealer recommended system.

That's not to say a dealer will lead you up a blind alley, but I don't think it's necessarily a great way to go.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If I had to start from nothing. I'd buy what I have now!
    Me too. Without all the faffing around !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast