+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it with Naim users?

I'm Gary.

Default What is it with Naim users?

I have got a Naim power supply - an old one from the "olive green" era - that I have been trying to sell. Not just trying, in fact, but succeeding - twice - on Ebay. But unbelievably (to me, at any rate) on both occasions the buyers rescinded the sale because the power cable was not the original Naim item. Once this happened before I boxed it up and sent it, the other time the buyer discovered the awful truth upon taking delivery. He cancelled the transaction and sent it back to me!

Now, I have no idea what an original Naim power cable looks like and no idea whether I ever owned the one that belonged to this power supply (which I bought second hand). I just used it with one of the standard 3-pin 13 amp to IEC plug cables that I have at home, and I assumed that the next user would be happy to do so. Not so, it seems. For a self-respecting Naim owner, it's got to be a Naim cable.

So anyway, I have bought one now, to give myself a fighting chance of making a sale that sticks. And guess what? It's a kettle lead with a separate white 13 amp plug screwed onto it! And if you didn't know it was full of magic Naim smoke, you would say it was just a really ordinary item.

What goes through folks' heads, really? What level of obsession is this? What are they doing with their kit - listening to it, or is it standing on a dais under a spotlight in some Hong Kong apartment being ritually worshipped?

I give up ...
    IB

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Naim are a law unto themselves. They fit locking DIN connectors to their products, but then recommend that the 'twist to lock' ring on the plug is not employed, so as to provide mechanical decoupling. If that is the idea, why fit locking DIN connectors in the first place?

IMO Naim enthusiasts are blinkered; just as Linn enthusiasts appear to be.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    IMO Naim enthusiasts are blinkered; just as Linn enthusiasts appear to be.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

S.

I'm Jez.

Not that I would have anything to say about such things of course

I bet it was transformed into a sonic cathedral of sound when you changed the kettle lead then?

Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Shaun.

This kind of thing just sounds like 1979 all over again. Back then I bought a Naim 42/110 combination and the dealer talked me into a 'special' interconnect between the pre and the power. The dealer informed me that the lead had a green band around one end because it was crucial to get this cable the correct way around as it was so directional.

Of course I had to try it all bloody ways around.

I'm Martin.

I would say Naim is like any other cult. You join in order to have someone else tell you what to think and so save yourself the bother of having to think for yourself.

I might well have joined when I was younger but I couldn't afford to and thus was I saved.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I would say Naim is like any other cult. You join in order to have someone else tell you what to think and so save yourself the bother of having to think for yourself.
    Much truth in this!
    IB

I'm Dennis.

I think we have to be blinkered to become involved in Naim in the first place.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I think we have to be blinkered to become involved in Naim in the first place.
    It's quite a while since I heard any Naim equipment. It can be impressive in the right context, but I've not heard anything I'd want to live with.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast