+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Individual items or the Sum of All Parts?

I'm Peter.

Default Individual items or the Sum of All Parts?

Having just read all the posts in what spare kit all you guys have, it dawned on me, Is it the the favourite individual bit of kit, or the the Sum of all the bits.

This is a 50 year journey, about loads of Money spent on what I thought would suit..... but never did ! (And ended up in the cupboard/ wardrobe or elsewhere!)

I won't go in to my final system with any detail because we all have our own favourites. Mine is the best to me!!! And maybe not to others.

However, I have stuck with Kef Speakers until my final change. Amps / preamps / TT's / Cartridges / Tuners / DAC's have all been swooped, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

What I'm trying to say... not very eloquently. Is it not the the Sum of the Parts and not any one piece of kit?

What I've got now.... does it for me in spades, both in musicality and total enjoyment.

Any thoughts ?????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Agree it is the sum of the parts. It's getting the sum to add up to the right answer though. And I was never great at maths.

For me it is a combination of kit I wanted to try for years and tracked down and kit that came up by chance and took my fancy. There's always a buyer for everything out there somewhere but the rate of kit coming in exceeded the rate of it going out for several years and it doesn't take long with that happening before you have a house full of the bloody stuff.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agree it is the sum of the parts. It's getting the sum to add up to the right answer though. And I was never great at maths.

For me it is a combination of kit I wanted to try for years and tracked down and kit that came up by chance and took my fancy. There's always a buyer for everything out there somewhere but the rate of kit coming in exceeded the rate of it going out for several years and it doesn't take long with that happening before you have a house full of the bloody stuff.
    Good post Martin.

Agree with everything you say - it's all only a means to an end: that of replaying music.

Like you, my collection is a mixture of the aspirational; stuff I've always wanted to try, but couldn't afford at the time, and of stuff which as you say "caught my eye". Very little of it has been a disappointment, and those items that havn't come up to scratch have been sold on. My system(s) is(are) very important to me - in fact they are essential, so I always have spare bits of kit should something fail.

However having said that, I am a bit of a fan of certain makes of gear, so do have an uneccessarily large collection of certain manufacturers: Mark Levinson, Quad, SME and Thorens. Furthermore I find the electromechanics of vinyl replay fascinating, so again have an uneccessarily large collection of (mostly vintage) cartridges and arms.

My girlfriend can't understand why I have so much stuff, but just accepts the fact that I do have a lot of kit. Fortunately she doesn't know how much has been spent on it all!
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Macca, I totally agree.

What you thought were the greatest components.... just didn't do it !!

What done it for me.. was a very old McIntosh MA 2275 Amp (retubed with Psvane tubes) / Townsend Rock 7 / Decca Super Gold and the stupendous Revolver Cygnis speakers. The other stuff just matched perfectly.

The McIntosh CD550 is also the dogs.

Sorry..... but very old fashioned

It's what does it for you in a relatively small room. 7m x 5m

I'm Mike.

Sum of all the parts together for sure.
    I have great bits of kit, so much better all together
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Peter.

Mike, if it does it for you......... it's right

Names don't really matter (High End .... or Higher End).

Unfortunately there is some serious bollocks out there. But also so seriously good stuff.

It's a hard world..... many dealers out there just want you to spend loads.. for no reason or improvement.

Peter

I'm Grant.

same here. majority of my gear no-one would take without threats
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

Grant,

Reading you previous posts, I doubt you have anything other than superb kit.

Peter

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyse6748 View Post
    Grant,

Reading you previous posts, I doubt you have anything other than superb kit.

Peter

trick is blending things to suit me Peter. i got shot of the more expensive bigger name stuff because i blended the stuff ive got so well to suit me. others might think different. im probably doing everything others think wrong, but ive been around long enough to not care. i think it is now sounding super. but its only been like this for a couple of months. before it wasup and down as often as a hoors drawers
    I might add no-one has actually heard it since I got it right lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Peter.

How True,

50 years of trying and less that a month of absolute happiness.

I'm in you're corner, that's for sure.

Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast