+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Individual items or the Sum of All Parts?

I'm Grant.

Rarity doesn't necessarily mean good of course. Just saying lol
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    I would say my happiness was at its greatest when I didn't even try. I just played what I had, and it sounded great.
    Then I discovered forums ...

IB
    And your purity was contaminated?

I don't think I ever had that purity to begin with. I was always looking for better even before I discovered forums. Now I'm still dissatisfied but I at least think I know why. Although in reality I probably don't.
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I don't think I ever had that purity to begin with. I was always looking for better even before I discovered forums. Now I'm still dissatisfied but I at least think I know why. Although in reality I probably don't.
    Heh he! I'm not sure I would ever lay claim to purity, in any department.
    No, it's just that reading on forums makes you aware that there is a potentially open-ended path of improvement available to you, if you want it. Strange as it may seem, before forums, I didn't really think about that. I had my Rega Planar deck, Arcam Alpha CD player, my Audiolab integrated amp and some tiny Proac loudspeakers. I knew it was decent kit, so I assumed I was getting a high quality sound - and in fact by any reasonable standard I was. And that was enough. However, that was then .... This is now.
    IB

I'm Martin.

Heh he! I'm not sure I would ever lay claim to purity, in any department.
    No, it's just that reading on forums makes you aware that there is a potentially open-ended path of improvement available to you, if you want it. Strange as it may seem, before forums, I didn't really think about that. I had my Rega Planar deck, Arcam Alpha CD player, my Audiolab integrated amp and some tiny Proac loudspeakers. I knew it was decent kit, so I assumed I was getting a high quality sound - and in fact by any reasonable standard I was. And that was enough. However, that was then .... This is now.
    IB
    Not so much the reading for me as actually hearing some much better systems and realising that I had only been scratching the surface before. Had much the same experience with women, curiously enough. Of course forums are important as it gives you an automatic crowd of what the yanks call 'enablers'
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gary.

"Scratching the surface" with women ? Not a recommended strategy, I would have thought.

IB

I'm Geoff.

"Scratching the surface" with women ? Not a recommended strategy, I would have thought.

IB
    Often little else is required. Many seeming quite shallow.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

What is purity? I always thought that the holy grail were something like LS3/5A's until I heard them at a show and thought they were awful, thin, lacking in bass and no soundstage. Maybe it was just a bad dem, or amp or source or a combo of all. I suspect that anyone hearing my system would say that it is coloured (whatever that is) What exercises my mind is that we all have our own take on what sounds good and what we want to listen to. How can there ever be a definitive system that is all things to all 'philes?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    What is purity? ?
    Purity as in just enjoying the music and not thinking about how to make it sound better, or worrying that the bass is not deep enough, or tight enough, and so on.

A state of grace akin to Adam and Eve before they were bounced out of Eden, I suppose. Once you commit the original sin of trying to make it sound better, your purity is gone!
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

I feel sorry for those who may have some cash to spare, but don't know where to start and end up with a dealer recommended system.

That's not to say a dealer will lead you up a blind alley, but I don't think it's necessarily a great way to go.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If I had to start from nothing. I'd buy what I have now!
    Me too. Without all the faffing around !
    Technics 1210, MCRU Linear PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. LP12/Aro/Lyra Dorian, Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, Ortofon ST80SE SUT, Rega Isis CD, Marigo Labs Clear Transformation CD mat, Belles VT-01 MK II Pre Amp, Belles MB200 Mono Power Amps, TAD E1 speakers. Creaktiv racks, Mains Cables: Coherent, MCRU Ultimate, Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz, TQ. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent socket

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast