+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Fecking eBay!!

I'm Geoff.

50 bad transactions sounds rather a lot. Never had any major problems on ebay myself. I've had the odd issue, but generally ebay have sorted things. You do need to be a bit canny though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

montesquieu Guest

The word 'collectibles' always makes me think of some saddo with a room full of useless shite ...

you know what I mean, star wars toys from 1978 complete in their packaging, plates with pictures of dogs on ('limited edition' of course), concert tickets for gigs the owner wasn't personally at, etc etc.

I guess ebay is brilliant for that sort of thing, I haven't sold anything there in years.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 08-08-2017 at 07:10.

I'm gone.

I still think eBay is fab.
    It's a massive global marketplace. Quite unequaled.

You would pay higher fees at a proper auction house so why whinge about eBay?
    Yes, it hurts to see 13.4% knocked off the sale price - but it's not a charity for your benefit, although a lot of you seem to think it should be, it's a business.
    And talking of charities, they allow special rates for charities, and have the excellent facility for % of sales going to a charity of your choice. Great stuff.

Buyer/seller problems? Occasionally. Some people are delusional (see above about fees) and some are arseholes.
    A very small % though, in my experience.

eBay is great.

Wot a load of whingers you lot are!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I still think eBay is fab.
    It's a massive global marketplace. Quite unequaled.

You would pay higher fees at a proper auction house so why whinge about eBay?
    Yes, it hurts to see 13.4% knocked off the sale price - but it's not a charity for your benefit, although a lot of you seem to think it should be, it's a business.
    And talking of charities, they allow special rates for charities, and have the excellent facility for % of sales going to a charity of your choice. Great stuff.

Buyer/seller problems? Occasionally. Some people are delusional (see above about fees) and some are arseholes.
    A very small % though, in my experience.

eBay is great.

Wot a load of whingers you lot are!
    Have I complained? No, like you I think eBay is a very useful way of tracking down hard to locate items, worldwide. True, some of the prices asked may be high, but you are not obliged to buy.

These days I tend to go for the BIN or 'Make an offer' sales, as my luck with the auctions has waned, whereas I used to be very successful 'sniping'. Although only a moderate user (I think only about 150 transactions), I have only had three problems: two were sorted by contacting the seller, and the third was effected by reporting the seller to eBay (by phone) who were able to give me the seller's telephone number and e-mail details. When I received no reply from the seller, eBay removed his name and 'blacklisted' him. Fortunately no money had changed hands.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The word 'collectibles' always makes me think of some saddo with a room full of useless shite ...

you know what I mean, star wars toys from 1978 complete in their packaging, plates with pictures of dogs on ('limited edition' of course), concert tickets for gigs the owner wasn't personally at, etc etc.

I guess ebay is brilliant for that sort of thing, I haven't sold anything there in years.
    I know what you mean and Im not that obsessive but its nice to collect something. Im a bit wary of mentioning collectables because they have that overtone. I just collected in a few areas that I first had as a child. Its mainly a nostalgia thing and its all gone up in value when chosen well

I think I put a sensible limit on it and there are many areas Im not interested in at all. I dont fill houses full of stuff.

I dont collect Star wars at all...never been interested. I dont collect stamps or coins. I think there is a point where collecting goes too far. I like to think Im not a hoarder but others might disagree. My father for example sees no reason why I would want a few matchbox cars but I see the joy in having them again

Anyway back on topic ebay is great for that sort of stuff. I sold a model Porsche. I paid £22 and it went for well over £100 so I dont really begrudge a 10% fee to attract that sort of bidding interest from all over the world.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 09-08-2017 at 16:13.

I'm Grant.

i used to collect pocket-watches from America.. not sure it was sad, although it was time consuming still got quite a few that i need to sell really. im too old and poor to keep them the way i should
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

I find Ebay useful, for all sorts of things but I have never sold on it just bought. Mostly been fine over the years with a few issues, very small % of issues, so overall its been a good experience.
    Regards Neil

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    50 bad transactions sounds rather a lot. Never had any major problems on ebay myself. I've had the odd issue, but generally ebay have sorted things. You do need to be a bit canny though.
    Yes but most of those will be on the less serious side with a few nasty humdingers in there. When I was auctioning I had at least 25 names on a blocked list after some admitted they just liked to wreck auctions.

I have had a lot of transactions so thats not too bad. I dont do auctions any more and Im buying half the amount I used to per year so I havent had a problem in ages now

Other examples include a rarish record that never arrived then the seller is just listing it again. I couldnt prove he had more than one copy but I naturally questioned it to be met with a tirade of threats that he was a big guy and was going to sort me out. These people know your address and I dont know if he is going to falsely order me pizzas for the next three years so it has to be played carefully. Sometimes its not worth saying anything

I always try and be polite and treat others as I would expect to be treated

After bidding one person didnt pay for three weeks and only paid to avoid a strike from ebay as he knew I would have to immediately refund him. I had long since relisted it again and sold it elsewhere. I was playing a calm casual game as I learnt not to get wound up about non payers I got told he went on holiday after bidding and "I do what I like mate" amongst a tirade of abuse. It left me shellshocked because these people can leave bad feedback and you have to play these things carefully. Out of curiosity I google mapped his house and it was covered in grafitti surrounded by junk and boarded up houses. I dont want to make all the judgements based on that but there are clearly people out there that I wouldnt know I was dealing with until its too late.

Other times boxes of broken and missing bits have arrived when it was advertised as good and complete. It takes time to sort out and there is often bad blood as these people get indignant and upset for various reasons. Some of them dont care but they dont like being caught out as lazy and careless sellers so it creates a bad atmosphere. Im not perfect and I have enough leeway but dealing with some people is like pulling teeth.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes but most of those will be on the less serious side with a few nasty humdingers in there. When I was auctioning I had at least 25 names on a blocked list after some admitted they just liked to wreck auctions.

I have had a lot of transactions so thats not too bad. I dont do auctions any more and Im buying half the amount I used to per year so I havent had a problem in ages now

Other examples include a rarish record that never arrived then the seller is just listing it again. I couldnt prove he had more than one copy but I naturally questioned it to be met with a tirade of threats that he was a big guy and was going to sort me out. These people know your address and I dont know if he is going to falsely order me pizzas for the next three years so it has to be played carefully. Sometimes its not worth saying anything

I always try and be polite and treat others as I would expect to be treated

After bidding one person didnt pay for three weeks and only paid to avoid a strike from ebay as he knew I would have to immediately refund him. I had long since relisted it again and sold it elsewhere. I was playing a calm casual game as I learnt not to get wound up about non payers I got told he went on holiday after bidding and "I do what I like mate" amongst a tirade of abuse. It left me shellshocked because these people can leave bad feedback and you have to play these things carefully. Out of curiosity I google mapped his house and it was covered in grafitti surrounded by junk and boarded up houses. I dont want to make all the judgements based on that but there are clearly people out there that I wouldnt know I was dealing with until its too late.

Other times boxes of broken and missing bits have arrived when it was advertised as good and complete. It takes time to sort out and there is often bad blood as these people get indignant and upset for various reasons. Some of them dont care but they dont like being caught out as lazy and careless sellers so it creates a bad atmosphere. Im not perfect and I have enough leeway but dealing with some people is like pulling teeth.
    My experience chimes with yours - a fair amount of mis-described or broken rubbish in with the decent stuff, or aggressive/idiotic sellers unable to comprehend that the description should match the goods.

I'm on 1100 feedback since 1999 so about 1000 a year but much of those (buying and selling) in the first five years, much fewer in recent times and then it's for cheap bits and bobs. It can be useful to identify traders with websites or for buying from (say) Germany or Japan. Some countries I just won't touch - Italy surprisingly among them.

Don't think I've sold anything there in 4-5 years. Life's too short for the aggravation.

I'm gone.

I'm on 6800 or so feedback, buying and selling, and I have never had an obviously extreme deliberate 'not as described ' item delivered or threats or even nasty language, in thousands of transactions.
    Weird!
    Last edited by jandl100; 09-08-2017 at 03:35.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast