+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Fecking eBay!!

I'm Mark.

Now of course they claim 10% of the postage in FEES. How on earth is that fair. Apparently it is to combat the (old) practice of making the postage artificially high and the selling price artificially low prevalent when there was no fee levied against postage. All in all a very quick, easy and profitable solution for them.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post

To be fair to ebay its excellent for collectables and I would never have known about some of these sellers if it wasnt for ebay. If they have their own sites I certainly didnt come across them until they used ebay
    I agree it is an excellent idea in principle, it's just badly managed and greedy in practice.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Josie.

Just don't use it as of this week... I have done some selling recently and found that several buyers have been trying to rip me off by asking for partial refunds... So it was a mistake to go back on as I told myself the last time that I've done selling through ebay...

I'm going to delete my account this week, not that they would care because I'm insignificant. I'd rather take stuff to the charity shop now.

People are just getting greedy and using ebay as a 'price knock down' shop through the partial refund rules.

The charges are extortionate too, I might have well just given some stuff away from the prices I got charged from ebay.

Crap, Crap, Crap.

Crap.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

as I said, I dont now sell anything because of it. Only occasionally buy and its usually ok as i filter out any seller I dont have full or near full confidence in their policy; unless its just cheap crap Im buying
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Taz.

Still use eBay to buy things as it's usually got what I'm looking for but I've cancelled my PayPal, don't see the need for it when I can transfer funds over to the buyer's PayPal account just as easily. Not sold anything on there for about a year now.

What I find really annoying is some of the sellers and their visions of grandeur towards what they're selling... This one guy got these kef's for sale that he's had advertised every week for the last 2 months, made him an offer £10 below his asking price, didn't hear back from him so I asked him again a week and another listing later to which I get this lengthy email about how valuable the kefs are and how he is disappointed in them not selling.
    He remembers them selling for twice what he is asking for apparently and he believes they will go up in value .
    I reminded him it's costing him a relisting fee of at least £3 every time he does and if the market was there he would have no doubt sold them...
    He replied with a polite "go away and let me be" message so thought carry on mate lol

I'm Martin.

For a tenner it hardly seems worth the bother on either side. If I'd wanted them and he said no to my offer I'd have just put the extra tenner in.

I know what you mean though. Some folk are delusional as to the size of the market for their kit and what it is worth. Especially big speakers. No-one wants them unless they are serious enthusiasts, no matter how good they are, or cheap they are, because they don't fit in with the lifestyle look of their homes. Or they worry, often without good reason, that they will be 'too big for the room'.

Plus serious enthusiasts are likely to have something as good or better already.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Its easy to bash ebay and yes the charges have been rising. However we have to accept the biggest listing site I use isnt free of charge and isnt a charity.

I have found some amazing things over 10 years...... Collectables from my childhood to brand new sealed box items of hi fi at bargain prices. Ive spoken to people who met Joe Ackroyd and Ive bought from the actual artist who designed my Dr Who weetabix collectables in 1975.

Ive actually saved money compared with direct dealer sites who used to charge the earth and pretend things were exclusive. Gone are the days when they would scratch their heads and pretend they were doing me a favour on "rare" items The listings on ebay prove the items are not exclusive and are in better condition

For the stuff im interested in no other site comes close. Even the hi fi forums cant match the range of equipment I see on ebay.

Im not on commision to defend them I can assure you It was always a profit making orginisation and I dont think they realised how big it was going to get. Its easy to remember a "loving community" through rose tinted glasses.

I dont sell using auctions anymore and I dont sell lower value items that need careful packaging as its not worth my time. I do sell from time to time and Im always buying on there.

So all in all ebay has been a bonus but I suppose it depends what you want to get out of it

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    For a tenner it hardly seems worth the bother on either side. If I'd wanted them and he said no to my offer I'd have just put the extra tenner
    It's not the tenner Martin (Macca), I would have paid that. They were first in Worcester then his mate took them to Gloucester from where he wants them to be collected now, I have to factor in fuel costs too and that tenner would make a difference.

Hi Martin (Minstrel SE), I have to agree with you on that eBay helps us find items we would have had to really search for back in the day. Met some great people through some purchases and have made some friends too, it's the dodgy users they mess it all up for everyone else.
    eBay should try and eliminate that problem first and ensure it is a safe and secure trading environment for both parties before penalising the honest guys with partial refunds and other scams people get away with

I'm Carlos.

EBay is a business and has its rules like any other business. When we open an account on eBay we agree to comply with their rules.
    As Shane has put it on his hifi Facebook page "Fail to agree, with the group's description and purpose. This will result a permanent banning from the group. "

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post

Hi Martin (Minstrel SE), I have to agree with you on that eBay helps us find items we would have had to really search for back in the day. Met some great people through some purchases and have made some friends too, it's the dodgy users they mess it all up for everyone else.
    eBay should try and eliminate that problem first and ensure it is a safe and secure trading environment for both parties before penalising the honest guys with partial refunds and other scams people get away with
    Hi Taz
    Yes Ive had 1700 transactions now and Ive only really dealt with about 50 real bad uns. Some of those were real nasty individuals making threats but its mostly a case of things not in the condition they were advertised. I was quite naive in the earlier days but I learnt fast. Im covered by paypal and the decision has always gone in my favour which is reassuring. Unfortunately you do tend to remember the bad ones but I dont let it spoil the experience of dealing with many great people

I know my limits and Im not the sort of person to send big money for expensive or rare items...I always go and collect even if that adds to the cost....or I simply dont buy certain things online. If any of my transactions online went belly up it wouldn't be the end of the world. I keep it sensible with an upper spending limit on distance buying

I can't stress enough that before ebay, collecting items like Brooke Bond cards for example was many times more difficult and more expensive

I suppose ebay only amplifies the scammers because they feel they can hide a behind a computer screen. I reported a recent scam of someone with zero feedback copying a picture of Royd Minstrels and advertising them at £26.58 buy it now Obviously something wrong there so I reported the listing and ebay took it down. The seller put it back up, I reported it again and ebay took it down again.

With our wits about us ebay is a safe place to shop. There is general naughtiness going on like Chinese sellers advertising as based in the UK but overall I have had a very positive experience
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 07-08-2017 at 20:26.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast