Hello and greetings to all the Art of Sound forum members. I guess you could call me a reconstituted audiophile, because at an earlier time in my working life and in another land, I was the manager of a Philips vinyl pressing plant and musicassette factory. In those days my personal home kit consisted of 15” Tannoy’s driven by Quad amps and a JVC QL-7 turntable with a Decca London Gold cartridge, a Philips N2552 cassette deck, a Revox B77 two track, 1/4 inch reel-2-reel and living room space was unlimited. My career path then diverted me into broadcast TV and motion picture equipment, and into photography as an aside.

Now my best beloved and I live in the UK and the Tannoys are long gone, as are the Quad amps. For the past five years I have been running a simple NAD 326BEE driving Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers from a NAD C515BEE CD player.

At present I am resurrecting the QL-7 turntable, which hasn’t been powered up for the last 20 years. A Shure M97Ve has just arrived which should match the NAD and the Wharfedales nicely. (I still have an Ortophon SL-15 and a JVC Z1s, both uninspiring.) Once that is done, I will set about examining the condition of my vinyl collection.

SO, I guess the principles remain the same but technology advances at quite a rate. I know the fundamentals of audio recording and reproduction and heritage gear. The rest, I will rely on you all to teach me. I hope I won’t bore you.

GrahamS