+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supra Classic 2.5 or Classic 4.0 or ply3.4

I'm Sam.

Default Supra Classic 2.5 or Classic 4.0 or ply3.4

I use homemade speaker cables - Alpha silver plated copper 14awg and a 14/16awg combo.

Since i got a near mint old Technics amplifier, this time I wont be changing the terminals , so am looking at Supra. Some years back I had Supra Ply3.4S.

Anyway, here in Australia i can source 3 Supra speaker cables

Classic 2.5 $9/metre
    Classic 4.0 $12/metre
    PLY 3.4 $18/metre

This particular Technics amplifer isnt high in my Technics system, but it is like new. Its a SU-500, with only 40/channel output. I would be using them with my ESM bookshelf speakers.

I would be using only 1.5metre/channel.

Classic 2.5 best suited or 4.0 or ply?

thank you in advance
    Sam

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

montesquieu Guest

I doubt you'd hear any difference at all.

I'm Sam.

Thank you Tom,
    I am gong with the Classic2.5. I doubt I would get double the improvement over the ply. I just need a tinned cable that wont oxdise

Amps: Technics SU-V9, SU-V8 (black and silver), V8X, V4X ( 2 black, 1 silver) , G50 and SU-500
    Source:Technics SL-P990, P350, P477a,PG440a, Marantz CD40, NEC CD620 - TDA1541A, Philips CD753, Klein DAC, tuner and turntables Technics
    Speakers: Technics SB-6, Coral CX-5, ESM bookself (seas tweeters), Celestion Sl-6 (copper domes)

montesquieu Guest

I just checked and I have a 3m pair of the 3.4mm Supra tinned. Great cable though I'm currently using a vintage western electric 2m cloth covered copper pair to my external crossover boxes. It's firmly my view that duff cable can cause issues but once you have a decent set in place anything more exotic is futile. For 1.5m I would have thought the 2.5 supra indistinguishable from just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I just checked and I have a 3m pair of the 3.4mm Supra tinned. Great cable though I'm currently using a vintage western electric 2m cloth covered copper pair to my external crossover boxes. It's firmly my view that duff cable can cause issues but once you have a decent set in place anything more exotic is futile. For 1.5m I would have thought the 2.5 supra indistinguishable from just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Tom,
    The 3.4mm Ply is good, hopefully the classic 2.5 will be good. I also have cheap 273strange copper cable about half the price of the Supra Classic2.5. I use it sometimes is quite musical and the distance is only about 1.5metres. I still like my silver plated copper over the other cables and they are a longer length 2.5metres and 3 metres.

Nice, old school cables you have there.

+ Reply to Thread