+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: a question of noise!

I'm paul.

Default a question of noise!

....a question of noise!

Does anyone have experience of the sophia electric 91-01 300B? (monoblocks)

Is it in its nature for transformers to buzz and hum (vibrate)? (with hum trim pots)

I just wondered because my puresound 2A3 was really quiet i.e. silent/no noise! (with no hum trim pots)
    John Wood 6L6 Valve Amp, with:

6L6GC Russian Original (no logo) Output Tubes 4x, supplied by J.Wood.
    ECC81 Mullard NOS Input Tubes 2x
    12AU7 (ECC82) Brimar NOS Input Tubes 2x

Wilson Benesch Actor Loudspeakers.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.
    M2Tech Hi-Face 2 RCA USB to S/PDIF (co-axial) converter.

HP Pavilion G6 - 2382sa D0Y14EA#ABU + "The Teddy" 19/3 - 19V 3.5A LPSU.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

Sennheiser HD 558 headset.

RothwellAudio Guest

No, transformers shouldn't hum/buzz. It indicates to me that the transformers are poor or the design is poor or there is a fault somewhere. If you're lucky it could just be a case of resetting the bias so the current drain is as it should be.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    No, transformers shouldn't hum/buzz. It indicates to me that the transformers are poor or the design is poor or there is a fault somewhere. If you're lucky it could just be a case of resetting the bias so the current drain is as it should be.
    many thanks!

I seller said: "I don't think it is a fault as it would be unlikely that both monoblock's have developed the exact same fault at the exact same time - yes?". "Although from your sound file, it looks like there is a 50Hz. frequency that should not be there!!". These are step down 230v - 120v action'ed by an airlink BPS0508.

Also, see this: https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...t=15595&page=3 POST 27. Sounds like my problem to!

sent you a sound file of the buzz via email.
    Last edited by the_doc735; 02-08-2017 at 20:05.

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

The Missing Link Ultra-Pure System ~ EPS-100 ~Audiophile Silver Un-switched Double Wall Socket +
    APC ‘SurgeArrest’ Surge protector - PM1W-UK (Schneider), + AG500P Power Inspired mains – ‘pure sine wave’ re-generator.

I'm Alan.

You may have a problem with DC on your mains?
    http://sound.whsites.net/articles/xfmr-dc.htm
    Are you using any of those home plugs for networking they work on the earth network so could be a source of noise
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Make sure they are meant to be run on 240v plus, a lot of equipment made these days are 230v, even then, they may only need 220v on them for all the voltages on the secondaries to be correct, basicaly; the over voltage in some cases can cause the Transformers to hum.
    If your not sure, get in touch with the manufacturers.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Geoff.

If it is a DC issue, this recent thread may be of interest: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rom-DC-Blocker
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

RothwellAudio Guest

That sound file doesn't sound like transformer buzz at all to me - it sounds like humming coming from the speakers. A hum in the signal can have many causes but in this instance I suspect power supply ripple. I could be wrong about that though.
    Of course, hearing the humming in isolation doesn't give any indication of the signal-to-noise ratio. That hum could be at a very low level or a very high level, there's no way to tell. Also, no indication of whether or not the hum goes up/down with the volume control.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like transformer buzz and isn't caused by DC on the mains.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    You may have a problem with DC on your mains?
    http://sound.whsites.net/articles/xfmr-dc.htm
    Are you using any of those home plugs for networking they work on the earth network so could be a source of noise
    Alan
    I'll try unplugging them!
    thanks!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Make sure they are meant to be run on 240v plus, a lot of equipment made these days are 230v, even then, they may only need 220v on them for all the voltages on the secondaries to be correct, basicaly; the over voltage in some cases can cause the Transformers to hum.
    If your not sure, get in touch with the manufacturers.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    These sophias are 120v~ I,m using a step down transformer from 230v (i.e. airlink BPS0508) as stated above!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If it is a DC issue, this recent thread may be of interest: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rom-DC-Blocker
    thanks!

REL Stampede Subwoofer.

Cary Audio 100t Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast