+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Pt 2 continued.

The mounting nuts are rusty and corroded.

DSCN3150.jpg

The wiring has gon for a burton.

DSCN3155.jpg

We have no strobe light protector.

DSCN3157.jpg

Idler wheel has no rubber.

DSCN3160.jpg

The wiring is all messed up around the on/off (which is also missing).

DSCN3166.jpg

So you see I have my work cut out!!

Right that's it for tonight. I have a bearing to strip and refurb.

Stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

I'm sure it can all be done. I reckon the rusty bits may come up OK and a lens for the strobe can probably be fashioned.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Get yourself a can of WD40 mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt III - Ugly duckingling..... not quite a swan.

Tracking parts down for the '99 has been difficult with all enquiries drawing a blank. This is something I planned on and fortunately I'm a patient person so I can wait for the parts. I want to keep this resto 100% original wherever possible but restoring old decks is never an easy job with bits being broken, things missings, things bodged. This build is no different I have quite a few switches and components missing but I've been a little lucky and managed to find some original parts and had to buy in new parts to replace missing. I've had to order a new G99 idler wheel rubber, this came from Italy and currently making it's way across Europe to my office in Wakefield. Here are a few pictures with some notes.

Mounting bolts.

These were completely corroded and after a lot of work but we now have 2 restored with some wet and dry of various grades paper and a new replacement for the third of which was a completely different type. I don't know if these are the originals but I restored them anyway as they were part of the deck when I recieved it. The third bolt was a completely different design so I managed to find a replacement. These bolts are probably going to be replaced anyway when I mount this deck in a plinth.

Bolt rusty, nasty, yuk!

DSCN3149.jpg

A bit of 'elbo grease

DSCN3173.jpg

Weird third bolt replaced with something new.

DSCN3172.jpg

The idler arm was in a state. The supression rubber at the base of the arm had dried out and warped, the brass mount was full of old grease and fluff! The idler arm spring was completely rusted and stretched. I had a spare in my collection so this got replaced. The supression rubber was also replaced with a spare and the brass cleaned. The idler wheel was stripped and cleaned, re-oiled, and fitted back onto the idler arm. The idler wheel rubber was missing when I got the deck, a new part has been ordered and will be replaced on arrival.

Old New

DSCN3148.jpgDSCN3186.jpg

The idler arm is not the same as the Lenco 75 which is a common misconception. It seems that Goldring skimped on the quality of the idler arm with respects to the mounting of the idler wheel. You have several nuts holdings the idler wheel mounting shaft in place whillst a nicelt turned solid brass mount does the same job on the Lenco 75 version. The idler arm looks over complicated to me and goes away from the elegant simplicity of the 75's design. The idler arm was finished off with a deep clean.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Pt III continued.

The idler arm, 90% complete and restored, now just awaiting the new idler wheel rubber.

DSCN3187.jpg

Goldring used the same bearing on the 99 as the Lenco 75, another area of skimping! This was supposed to rival/beat the Garrard 301/401! This example had a completely knackered spindle and unfortunately was beyond repair. I stripped down the bearing and completely serviced it, about 20 minutes work. This bearing has recieved new oil, thrust plate was ok as was the bearing. I'm very unhappy about having to use a new spindle but that's old deck restoration for you.

The spindle was heavily corroded and caused the platter to stick. Damage like this also damages the platter so it pays to replace to save the rest of the deck, Lenco G99 platters are like hens teeth to find.

Old knackered spindle Replacement spindle from a donor bearing

DSCN3153.jpgDSCN3195.jpg

The bearing prior to being cleaned up and serviced.

DSCN3182.jpg

This is the same bearing mounted and polished after a full service and a bit of surgery.

DSCN3193.jpg
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Continued...

Just a few more bits. The strobe lamp holder was very dirty and after a quick 5 minutes polish I get a nice shiny piece of bling.

Before After

DSCN3146.jpgDSCN3190.jpg

Last pictures now for a while. These pictures show the deck when it first arrived and the progress that's been made so far.

Freshly arrived Now being restored.

DSCN3144.jpgDSCN3191.jpg

The chasis needs a new lick of paint so I'm off shopping tomorrow to see if we can match some colours. Right, that's it.

Stay tuned......
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Cheers Andy . Do you know where this deck was stored , it's in a right old state . I really don't know if I would have tackled something like this , so Kudos to you mate. Looks like this one is going to take a while mainly due to the unavailability of parts .
    Interesting thread and I'm really enjoying the pictures
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

It came from Kent originally and I have no idea where it was stored, somewhere damp so probably garage, cellar, or attic. The deck is in working order and it's only missing a few switches and it's complete so I can still play vinyl on it. I'm messing around with the linkages and then it's the on/off switch and wiring.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt IV - Coming together (oo-er missues).

The deck is still in pieces but I managed to find a little time to do some tinkering. I've managed to find the correct colours so that I can strip and respray the chasis so I will be starting this just at some point. I have all the products so I'm hoping to maybe do a slow restoration over the next few days. I'll probably leave 24h between each coat of primer, paint, laquer etc. I also recieved a little package from Germany which happened to be the new idler wheel rubber so this was fitted today and we now have a complete idler arm so that one less piece missing from the deck. I also managed to restore the original mat to new new condition thanks to Autoglyn rubber care products a little expensinve at £8 per bottle but very very worthwhile. I'm a little more confident of being able to restore the speed selector switch to near perfect condition. It won't quite look like an original but it'll be 95% similar, the new version will have to do until we can source some proper switches. The on/off switch is stll elusive and I've decided that I'll probably design the new fascia faceplate the last, just get all the other work out of the way first and then crack on with that which will probably being the biggest and probably most expensive but of the restoration. Right, I'm off again...

Stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

I take it it's going to be grey Andy . Isn't the internet fantastic for finding parts for old gear
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast