+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Pt XV - Light's, camera, action!

Big leap forward tonight in getting the deck restored. I decided to bite the bullet and get the re-wiring and the on/off switch refurbed and rebuilt. Trying to find any information about this deck has been hard and the rewiring aspect of things did indeed cause a few problems. I've spent many hours downloading pictures of the 99 from all over the net but, this is good and bad. Good in that you can see bits which are missing, bad because Lenco's can be wired differently depending on where you reside. I took copious amounts of photographs before I decided to desolder the on/off switch. I noticed that I was missing several areas of wiring so this had to be replaced. I had to repair the strobe light and I had to buy some yellow heat shrink to match up with the old wiring. The light for the on/off switch works perfectly and is now fitted back on to the top plate. I've included a few more pics.

This picture meant a lot to me and that I think it signified a turning point in the decks renovation. Technically the deck is as refurbished as it can be with repects to how it arrived, everything has been restored and is now working. There is still a lot to do but the deck can now play music if it was mounted in a plinth alongside a suitable tonearm. The deck couldn't even spin or light up when it first arrived.

DSCN3287.jpg

The picture shows one of the nasty surprises awaiting me when rebuilding the on/off switch and wiring it all back together. I had to sacrifice the original yellow covering (which I still have) and replace with yellow heatsink which still needs to "shrunk"! The light bulb got fixed with a little solder and was later covered over with heat shrink.

DSCN3269.jpg

The is the rebuilt on/off switch. The switch is a simple rocker switch but I dismantled it and did a number of small repairs. Here you can see the various bulbs to be soldered on before it has to be mounted onto the top plate. I've already done some work. This took ages to finish as I had to continually refer to my reference photos and various pics from the net.

DSCN3280.jpg

OK, here she is all wired up. It's not looking very neat and a little Heath-Robinson but that can soon be tidied up. My deck was missing several wires from the on/off switch which meant that it couldn't be wired up properly or tested. The brown wires are a replacement whilst the originals would have been silver. I may replaced these back to silver if I can find a wire which resembles the old stuff. I've kept all the original wiring. I've seen some resto's with replacement wiring but to me that spoils the originality of the deck. I've tried to remain true with this resto.

DSCN3288.jpg

Final picture. The old girl is all lit up and spins!

DSCN3286.jpg

I'd say the deck is ~70% complete. The buttons and decals should be made in the next few weeks which brings me even closer to the finish line. The next big thing will be the external top plate which attaches to the main body of the 99 via three screws on the underside of the deck. I already have a cunning plan with respects to how I'm going to make this . I will reveal more when the time comes. The deck still has it's issues and the linkages are not silky perfect like on my Lenco 75 but that's just teething problems and easily remedied. The idler wheel needs a little adjustment and a quick listen to the motor reveals it to be reasonably quiet. I'm now looking forward to getting this deck finished so I can start work on my Garrard 301 (I have a new bearing coming), and my Lenco 75 Reference.

As always, stay tuned....
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 02-09-2017 at 20:02.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Coming along nicely Andy. A credit to you.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

This is very nice work Andy , as ever . Are you planning to keep this turntable ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Coming along nicely Andy. A credit to you.
    Thanks, still lots to do!

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    This is very nice work Andy , as ever . Are you planning to keep this turntable ?
    Many thanks Brian. I'll probably end up keeping this one, I have a great respect for Lenco. Funny thing is I think I respect a deck more once I've restored it. I think it's down to learning how it works. It gives me another dimension to this hobby and I usually end up keeping the decks I've restored. The only one I sold on was a Thorens TD150 which I specced upto the TD160 super levels. It was a nice deck but a little too polite and undetailed for more liking! I've got a very nice tonearm that I intend to use with the '99. I'll post more when I have a little time.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Pt XVI - No more rats nest.

Progress on the 99 has been slow but this is just as I expected. I have been working on my Lenco 75 and Garrard 301 projects and these to some extent have taken up my time. Some times you get fed up of forever working on one deck so I thought the '99 should get a little attention tonight. I decided to tidy the cable work under the lid tonight. The first two pictures show the rats nest that I generated when rewiring the old lady. Some cables needed shortening, some needed repositioning, some needed shrink wrap etc. The third picture shows the finished work and yes she still spins, so I didn't blow anything up!

DSCN3314.jpgDSCN3315.jpgDSCN3317.jpg

I still need to produce the decals which is an hour or two's work. The missing buttons are still a WIP. The linkages don't properly work in that they don't engage the idler wheel properly so I think this could be the next job. As ever, stay tuned!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Part XVII - Big leap forward

Looks like the CADCAM work is finished, just checking a few bits over and then 3D printing ahoy! So apart from a few small bits of tweaking I have big jobs left.

1. Production of the detatchable top plate.
    2. Production of the aluminium fascia.

The detachable top plate is probably going to be the biggest pain as I'm going to have to make a mould and then vacuum form the aluminium over the top. It's good job I have the relevant stuff. I may even start messing around making some card prototype fascia's over the next few days. I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.
    It's all good fun and can't wait to get the old lady playing vinyl again. I'll probably make a simple birchply plinth and mount my SME 3009.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Today's Update - Pt XVIII - cop a look at these....

A massive thanks to Mark for the work he's put into these.

eba4da12599e7c7082b9b74201b47a8b.jpg69d1ac7f979133baec15a5affdf0b0c2.jpg

These are the new on/off switches, speed selector switches. I'll be organising 3D printing over this weekend. Another bid job done on the '99. Now I need to start the final two jobs. I've decided to start measuring up for the external top plate. I'll make this from EVA I have lots at work and it's very easy to work with. I'm thinking 2mm brushed aluminium to vacuum form over the mould. I can see some fun with this!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Geoff.

Nice job Andy.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Brian.

Very nice work Andy . There's a lot of clever people on this forum .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

OOOOOOoooooo I get to play with my knob(s) later this week. New buttons/selectors on way from Scotland.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast