+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update Pt XXXII - G99 is 99% finished!

Here's a piccie of my 99 with the metal fascia nearly finished. The speed selector switch has been fixed into place, the strobe light window has been cut. All I need to do is get the on/off switches installed and install the decals and then it's complete. The plastic component of the top plate needs some more primer adding and then spraying, all of which can be done in a day. It's quite sad really in that the old girl is nearly finished. I guess this will give me more time to play around with the '75 and my Garrard 301. I will of course always be on the look out for restorations. So as always, stay tuned......

DSCN3574.jpg
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Great going Andy. Especially when one considers what you started from. Well done mate!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Great going Andy. Especially when one considers what you started from. Well done mate!
    Thanks, it's just been steady sway.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Will be interested in the comparison with your 301 (if that ever gets finished )

I have only had a fleeting experience with a 301, but two 99s passed through my hands.
    Barry

I'm Keith.

Quodos Andy. A job well done.

I'm Brian.

Aye well done Andy . You're getting rather good at this restoration stuff
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update Pt XXXIII - A friend from Europe.

Looks like we'll have some new on/off switches organised and to the correct sizes. This little venture came with the help from fellow audio addicts from Austria and Scotland. Isn't it great when we can communicate and get a job done! More when I have them sitting on the deck.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's update - Pt XXXIV - Still chipping away... slowly

The G99 continues to be a perplexing animal. I haven't touched it in 5 months as I decided I needed a rest and had other more pressing projects. I decided to start looking at G99 pictures today after a couple of threads appeared on Lenco Heaven with respects to the strobe and the speed selector both of which are not complete on my own example of the G99. Both of the threads yielded a great deal of important information with respects to the composition of the G99. The strobe housing had a mirror attached and the casing is a lot more complex than I expected so it looks like I may need to make a mould so that I can vacuum form something which resembles the housing, I can see this is going to be very hit and miss, more fun and games

The strobe casing. I have some measurements so I "should" be able to make something similar.

strobe4.jpg

The speed selector is proving to be a little more difficult to complete. It turns out that I'm missing x4 screws and x4 grommets to help the speed selector. I do remember having a very small bag of spares so I'm hoping that these could be the long lost missing bits that didn't seem to fit anywhere. The screws should be pretty easy to replace but the grommets are going to have to be custom made or bought as spares from somewhere. I have already made a request over on Lenco heaven for help but if anyone on AOS can help then please send me a PM. Finally thanks to Xerox over on LH I now know the positions of how the grommets should be fixed once located.

speed selector2.jpg

speed selector3.jpg

It also appears that Goldring had two versions of the speed selector. The early machines differ in that they don't have any cut out around the speed selector switch whilst the later G99 appear to be exactly the same as the G88. It looks like the early G99 top plates were "proper" G99's and designed slightly differently to later versions. The later G99's top plate may have been modified from left over G88 top plates and modded into G99's this may explain why the G88 plastic top cover fits perfectly on my G99. So whilst I'm no further far forward with finishing this project it has clarified a few things and made me realise I'm still missing a few bits and bobs. I'll now ponder how to make the strobe casing.

Thanks for reading.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'll now ponder how to make the strobe casing.
    Cut the sections from clear acrylic sheet and bond them with 'Plastic Weld'.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Cut the sections from clear acrylic sheet and bond them with 'Plastic Weld'.
    Thanks, never heard of "plastic weld". Must do some research. I've been threatening for ages to get a hobby band saw, this could be the tipping point.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast