+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Part XXII - Nearly playing vinyl

I've very very nearly achieved one of the major objectives for this restoration and that was to get the 99 playing vinyl again. The second objective was to fully rebuild the 99 with all it's components, this is still on going. I've nearly completed my MDF plinth and birchply SME tonearm board, all made from scraps sitting around the garage, total cost, NOWT! OK, I'm no Thomas Chippingdale but it's functional. It houses the 99 and allows my to play vinyl. I'll be bolting a SME 3009 to the deck and now the fun bit. I'm going to hunt for an old MC or MM on ebay and have a little fun with some brands that I've not tried before. I've got some speaker spikes (£6 from hifi collective) to enable levelling the deck and add a little isolation from vibration. The 99's linkages need a little work but I'm aiming to get some vinyl spun before the end of this week.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Looking forward to your first impressions Andy
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Part XXIII - Very Very Very nearly playing vinyl Pt 2

Alongside modding a Lenco GL75, A Garrard 301 and building a EAR 834 MM phonostage I found a little time to work on the 99. (I've never used this one before). I've been slowly clearing out my garage and decided to use up a few bits of MDF I had laying around to make a plinth. I've never done one before so here are a couple of picture of my rather rubbish attempts.

DSCN3368.jpgDSCN3369.jpgDSCN3375.jpg

And now we have the 99 mounted in a plinth with the SME 3009. The 3009 needs to be properly attached to the plinth and it needs a cart and a headshell. Well I managed to find a cartridge from China delievered for £2.99 (SERIOUSLY)! A headshell need to be found, one may be lurking somewhere! Well thats it for now. The linkages need a little work and once these are sorted I shall start to make the attachable top plate that the deck is missing.

STAY TOONED PEEPS!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - Part XXIII - Big shift forward.

The 99 project has been on hold for a while whilst I have been busy getting the Garrard 301 updated and a whole skew of other projects finished, even my beloved Lenco 75 has been sidelined. Anyway, some good news. I've managed to find a headshell (REGA) which matches the SME 3009, a cartridge is now on it's way. I've still not played any vinyl yet but that's for another day. The major news is that it looks like I may have finally sourced a plastic top fascia for the 99. This is the holy grail of spare parts for the 99 and like hen's teeth to find. I did make some enquirers in Australia to a Lenco owner that looked like he'd sell me his but it all went pear shaped. The plastic top plate is screwed into place with (i think) six screws so I'll need to source some screws which match the originals but I can't see being a big deal, probably lots of skulking around B&Q, Homebase, Screwfix or somewhere else with similar looking screws . I'd be mighty relieved if I can source this top-fascia as it saves me a lot of time and effort trying to replicate something similar. It's also quite sad as the deck will be 97.5% finished with only the on/off switched to be properly made. Fingers crossed that this all works. out.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - Part XXIV - Finish line visible, but still some work to do

Have a look at this...

DSCN3423.jpg

It's the Goldring with a 88 fascia. It's the best I could do to replace the 99 fascia. There are some marked changes over the 88 and 99 fascia's but the screw holes are in the same place. The lighting is different as there is no facility for the '99s strobe light, the on/off switch is also different. The colour of the fascia is different but that can easily be changed and the speed selection is different, again we should be able to modify this. I really do wish I had a 99 fascia but beggars can't be choosers. The screws holding the fascia in place are also quite specific in that they have to be flat head screws and I think they are M3 diameter, I really must check. I now need to buy some 1mm aluminum and cut down to fit the fascia. The lettering on the 99's aluminum fascia has several variations but I think I'm sticking with what I have prepared. I have also managed to repair the spring mechanism on the underside of the 99. I still have several washers and nuts floating around, I think I need to do another idiot check to see where they belong. So, I hoping to have the modded fascia finished and installed sometime January. I'm hoping to play my first vinyl in January. Stay tuned.....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

Put that in a nice plinth and it'll look stunning Andy . I'm well impressed mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Geoff.

Looking good Andy, considering what you started with. Nice effort!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Thanks as ever.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update - Part XXV - Kind of Grey...

It's Xmas and working in the garage is pretty limited due to it being very cold but I did manage to snag a few hours on the '99 and it's now looking like the finished product. Take a look at these.

DSCN3429.jpgDSCN3460.jpg

The top plate fascia needed some modification. Firstly the speed selector area needed filling in, this took several days of careful filling, sanding, more filling, sanding etc etc. I had to sacrifice one of the screw fastening areas to enable the speed selector switch to fit, I still have four remaining so the fascia should still contact pretty well. I also primed the top plate and now it fits perfectly and also the speed selector knob fits as well. I need to find four screws which fit the fastening sections on the underside of the plinth, that should be a five minute job in the garage tomorrow. I've also correctly attached the strobe light now even though you cant see it. I'm now missing three parts to finish the 99, a proper strobe window and a proper set of on/off switches. The fascia needs spraying (I have the correct colour) and the final metal fascia needs to be made. I've still to modify the plastic fascia to accommodate the strobe window but I've decided to take a slowly slowly attitude with this restoration. I have three other decks to play with so I'm in no hurry to screw this one up . As ever, stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonight's Update Pt XXVI - Springing from Lethergy

It's been a long time since I've spent any time on the 99. It's been cold in the garage and I just haven't felt like doing anything on this deck. So, I decided to finalise a few little details. Firstly, I decided to order some brushed aluminium from here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium...M9XGtOsfaEZ0tg this comes with a adhesive on the back which should make things a lot easier. I also decided upon the final design of lettering for the face plate. It appears Goldring had several versions of the G99 lettering on the top face plate. I decided to go with this version as it's the one I already have printed up.

G992.jpg

Goldring also did a version of the "G99" red lettering with the G in a circle. The strobe light also has a clear see through cover which is something that I have also replicated.I'll make a template of the positions of the on/off switches, power light, strobe etc which I can then impose over the aluminium and then cut to match. I can then properly paint the plastic under fascia the same colour as the chasis and then we have very very nearly finished.

Stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast