+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Default Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

Pt 1 - Introduction

I could not refuse this G99 at the price I paid. I hope you lot are in for the long haul as I'm going to need a lot of patience sourcing spare parts for this beauty. This unit came from Kent and it looks like it's been stripped for another resto project. Not to worry I couldn't see this deck fester for any longer so I decided to take the plunge and buy it.

This is what the deck looked like from straight out of the box.

DSCN3144.jpg

The G99 is a little more complex than the GL75 but only because it has slightly more features. This was the Rolls Royce of the Lenco idlers. I stripped the deck ready for refurbing the plinth and additional parts.

DSCN3169.jpg

A quick scrub over with some warm soapy water and a little pure alcohol to get rid of any sticky residue and grime. The deck looks a lot better already.

DSCN3170.jpg

That's it so far. This deck really is a horror story and I have some real cringe worthy photo's for you lot over the next few months (or maybe years).

Stay tuned folks.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Kai.

Was this from eBay? If it were I think it was an auction I kept an eye on just in case It does look pretty dire, but some clean up and maintenance could do wonders and I guess most of important mechanical parts are interchangeable with an L75?

I'm Geoff.

I've had one of those Andy and a G88. I left them standard as they were in mint nick. I'll be interested to see what you do with this. They are lovely units.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by helma View Post
    Was this from eBay? If it were I think it was an auction I kept an eye on just in case It does look pretty dire, but some clean up and maintenance could do wonders and I guess most of important mechanical parts are interchangeable with an L75?
    Yes from eBay. Just wait till you see the rest of the photographs! A lot of the 75 and 99 are interchangable but I want to keep as much of this original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've had one of those Andy and a G88. I left them standard as they were in mint nick. I'll be interested to see what you do with this. They are lovely units.
    It's just going to be a complete stock refurb, nothing fancy, no modding, no tweaking just a faithful resto. I've already refurbed a classic tonearm for this project (more phot's later).
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Oh dear Andy , you sure do like a challenge mate I have no doubts whatsoever that you will turn this around though

Please clear your inbox mate .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Oh dear Andy , you sure do like a challenge mate I have no doubts whatsoever that you will turn this around though

Please clear your inbox mate .
    Lets hope so, inbox now cleared.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I used to have a couple of G99s, both of which I sold on to a member and an ex-member here. Nice decks: very quick start and speed settling time; very wide speed adjustment range, and ample opportunity for fettling. Commisioned by Goldring from Lenco to be an alternative to the Garrard 301/401, it will be intereresting to read of your thoughts of the comparison.

Have fun!
    Barry

I'm Dave.

In reviews of the time, the G99 performed better than the 301.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In reviews of the time, the G99 performed better than the 301.
    I liked my G99 better than my 301.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Tonights update - The Goldring Resto Pt 2 - A survery of the damage to the deck.

OK, big deep breath, here we go ....

Speed selection switch knackered, might be able to salvage?

DSCN3145.jpg

Idler arm rubber dampener kaput!

DSCN3148.jpg

Motor spindle corroded and knackered.

DSCN3151.jpg

Bearing spindle knackered.

DSCN3153.jpg

See I told you all it was bad and I havent even finished with the rest of the pictures! As bad as it may seen all this damage is pretty easy to sort out. The motor/bearing and idler arm being a piece of cake. The speed selector switch might need a little lateral thinking but I'm sure we can think of something. Tonights work is assessing damage to the top plate. I might just do a complete re-strip and repaint from fresh. Check out Pt 3 for more horrors!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast