+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Brian.

Hah ! You must have too much time on your hands mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Part XIX - Mostly 'armless

So, 'bout same time as I bought the '99 I got this.

A completely trashed SME 3009 (Improved) (I think).....

I have real issues seeing old kit like this. Everything on this SME is custom made including the nuts and bolts!!!!!!!!!! Custom made, precision engineering for GODS sake!

DSCN3111.jpgDSCN3112.jpgDSCN3113.jpgDSCN3115.jpgDSCN3116.jpg

A lot of work and some careful coaxing produced a really lovely looking tonearm.

See part 2
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Here we go. Say hello to the 99's new partner in crime with respects to spinning vinyl.

DSCN3124.jpgDSCN3128.jpgDSCN3133.jpgDSCN3135.jpgDSCN3137.jpg

More next week when we look at cheap and cheerful plinth designs.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Pt XX - Buttons and decals

Just a small update tonight. I've finally got the buttons installed on the deck and I managed to get the decals printed up and sprayed.

DSCN3326.jpgDSCN3327.jpg

There is still some fine tuning with the deck but I'm hopeful to have it mounted in a plinth in the day or so . I've managed to salvage something retro from my first ever Lenco purchase . The plinth may need a little modding but that's ok it's better than it sitting collecting dust in my cellar. I'll also be able to get the SME 3009 mounted and maybe get a tune out of the old girl. Wonders will never cease! As always, stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Deleted.

Do the buttons all fit and work then Andrew? Please leat me know if they don’t. I’ve not forgotten, just been very busy, I’ll send you the old on/off switch and the bit of trim.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Do the buttons all fit and work then Andrew? Please leat me know if they don’t. I’ve not forgotten, just been very busy, I’ll send you the old on/off switch and the bit of trim.
    The speed selector switch works a treat the on/off switches not so good . The on/off switches do work but I think I need to build the detatchable top plate that comes with these machines. I've been busy restoring a plinth I found in my works cellar for the 99. The plinth needs a little modding and repair but should be good for the 99 and the SME tonearm. I'll then probably get around to making the detachable top plate and aluminium fascia. I've been a little overwhelmed with other projects. I've just finished a new PSU for the EAR 834 clone and a new round of upgrades for the Garrard 301 and then I'm still evaluating Simon's wonderful new mods to the Paradise.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Part XXI - Old mother hubbard audio cupboard.

Mines running a bit bare! I've emptied the garage of all my spares over the last few months on the various projects that I've had up and running and now I'm the process of getting rid of excess MDF and birchply so I thought I'd make the '99 a plinth! This is my first attempt at such a job. Making a plinth is not hard but making it look nice and neat is something else. The '99 was never really meant to be a reference level deck it was purely a restoration project. Maybe, if I get bored I may start to fettle but my main priority is to get it mounted and for it to stop cluttering my listening room floor, I also want the SME 3009 tonearm mounted so that my room looks a little less messy.

So here's the '99 in prototype plinth with a SME mount ready to be cut out. I'll be making a SME armboard from scraps around the garage. It still needs to be cut down and a few more layers added but hopefully I should have something before the end of this month/middle of next.

DSCN3367.jpg

Stay tuned.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

That looks like a good start Andy
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    That looks like a good start Andy
    Lets hope I can keep it up
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Brian.

I doubt you've given in yet on a project
    Regards
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast