+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    What fascinates me with this G99 restoration thread is that everything on it is trashed, right down to the last rusty screw, yet Andrew has the patience and the skill to make it right. Had it been mine, it would have gone in the dustbin, because I just haven't got what it takes. I have a 'time warp' G99 which needs a plinth but I haven't even found time to sort this out, let alone rebuild a rusty lump.

Well done..
    Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Ditto
    AHHH SHOOKS!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Part XIII - IT'S ALIVE or You spin me right round baby like a record...

I've been quiet lately but things have been slowly coming together. The motor is now installed. It's not the most quiet Lenco motor I've ever heard but it works and I've managed to get the platter to spin. It makes a few noises but that's something to sort out for another day I mainly wanted to get the thing working and spinning. The motor springs and nuts have been fully restored. Each nut and spring has been cleaned till a rust and corrosion free state each has been primed and resprayed mat black and each nut has been repainted post office red as it should be. See picture below.

DSCN3283.jpg

The mains lead has now been connected and fixed into place just like it should be on a 99. The other spare fastener is for the wires coming from the on/off switch going into the motor this have yet to be added. One of the bigger jobs is to get the on/off switch re-wired, tested and then fixed onto the deck. It's probably the last big job on the underside of the deck before I start looking at getting the fascia and outer top plate made up.

DSCN3285.jpg

Now this came as a surprise I managed to find some thin clear plastic in the Lenco spares box so I'm going to chop this down to fit over the strobe window I need to source a very very small screw and then simply fix the plastic onto the underside of the 99. It's not an original part but it will suffice until I can source something original.

DSCN3284.jpg

So I have more news! The speed selector switch is currently in Sheffield being examined and measured for a CADCAM file which will hopefully then just be 3D printed I'm hoping that the on/off switches will be processed the same way. J7 from Audio Origami has offered to do the 3D printing so it looks like the missing and broken switches could be another job completed. Lets hope and prey! I have to make an outer top plate. The 99 has another top plate which is bolted on top of the deck, well my 99 didn't have one so I'm going to have to make one. This is not quite as hard as it seems I have a vacuum former and I think I should be able to mould a top plate from 2 or 3mm aluminium over a mould which I intend to make from EVA I just need accurate measurements. There is no point in making the aluminium fascia until this has been completed. I shall also be getting a file ready over the weekend for my decals to be made up and printed so that they can be fixed onto the aluminium fascia when I make it. Still lots and lots to do but at least the 99 is now spinning and a lot of the problems now seem to have solutions. As ever stay tuned.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wakefield Turntables; 25-08-2017 at 20:21.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Did you rescue the original motor Andy, or use another?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Did you rescue the original motor Andy, or use another?
    Original rescued after a lot of work but the spindle was shot so that had to be replaced. The on/off switch is also looking shot but I think we can rebuild this.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - Pt XIV - Nudgin' a bit closer.

I have managed to finish off another couple of jobs on the 99 this weekend. The first is restoring the strobe window. I now have to correct drill bit and a little experience in fabricating these things now and feel confident of producing something a little better when the time comes. An original part would be ideal but that's so far unobtainium, so a small rectangular equivalent will have to do. I now need a 1mm screw to complete the refurb, call me tight but I'm not spending £3 at Maplins just for one little screw so I'll have to go on the hunt for one (anything to keep the cost down ). The second job has been the producing of the lettering on the 99. I've had some help from Chris over on The Audio Standard and after a little experimentation have managed to replicate the correct font size. I now have more appreciation for fonts and have used several websites for size conversions. I always love doing up these old decks and its pretty cool the new skills you learn, I now more than happy to have a crack at producing decals for any old decks where lettering might be faded or missing. I still have a little more work to do on the font side of things but should have some shiny new decals by the end of this week. I now have four BIG jobs left on this deck.

1. Making a new aluminium fascia and applying decals.
    2. Getting the on/off switch rewired and testing the bulbs.
    3. Making some new on/off switches and a speed selector switch.
    4. Making a new detatchable top plate for the 99

All the jobs are partially completed and I have some ideas on how to finish them. So, as ever, stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Simon.

How are you doing the decals, waterslides?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    How are you doing the decals, waterslides?
    Yeah waterslides if these guys https://www.lasercutit.co.uk/laser-c...ard-board.html dont prove to be too expensive. I'll get a quote tomorrow and see what they have to say. I must admit that I like the idea of using high quality poster paint to get a better finish, it's more vibrant and resiliant compared to waterslides and more faithful to the deck.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Quick update I'm sitting here waiting at work for my first patient so I thought I'd write something. Looks like its waterslides for the wording on the 99. I got quoted £95 (minimum) to produce a paper template and then I got told the laser couldn't do intricate small lettered work, WTF, it's supposed to be a bloody laser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So looks like my little friend at the end of our street is getting the few quick it's going to cost for him to do the work. It's a compromise I hate making. The deck is in stasis at the moment as I wait a for few little projects to arrive. The on/off switch needs rewiring so I think that could be tonight's work. All the small jobs are nearly finished I then need to start thinking about the outer top plate, this should be lots of fun .
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Paul.

Couldn't you get the lettering done at a signwriters ??
    When I ran Tower Records down here we had an instore artist to create bespoke POS material using a Mac and a vinyl cutter.
    When the store closed they let him take the hardware and he set up in business and he still uses the same cutter and it's brilliant.
    I painted the cover from Sketches Of Spain on my living room wall and got him to cut the lettering on black vinyl. I know it goes quite small so you could probably use that and then lots of thin coats of varnish on top to get the right look.
    Would be a lot cheaper than £95 too, I'm sure.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Couldn't you get the lettering done at a signwriters ??
    When I ran Tower Records down here we had an instore artist to create bespoke POS material using a Mac and a vinyl cutter.
    When the store closed they let him take the hardware and he set up in business and he still uses the same cutter and it's brilliant.
    I painted the cover from Sketches Of Spain on my living room wall and got him to cut the lettering on black vinyl. I know it goes quite small so you could probably use that and then lots of thin coats of varnish on top to get the right look.
    Would be a lot cheaper than £95 too, I'm sure.
    Paul, thanks for the suggestion, never thought of it really. I could look into it, again thanks for your input.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast