+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring G99 - A Resto too far 8-<>

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The G99 I have here is pristine and fully working. You're a better man than me, taking on that one..

I'm still deciding whether it's to be the G99 or a 301 I have as my final turntable. I also have an excellent TD124 but as I want to mount a 12 inch SME and FR-64X, that is out of the running.
    Why is that "out of the running"? I have 12" arms fitted to my TD124s.

When I had G99s, I have to admit they were very good (one of which I sold to you with an SME 3009 arm, if you remember), but IMO the Thorens TD124s are in another class. The last time I head a 301 was probably thirty years ago and it wasn't for long, so I didn't have a chance form any real opinion of it.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post

The '99 looks like a very lazy mash up of the Lenco 75 top plate and the Garrard 301 chasis shape. Now either Goldring did a load of research and came to the conclusion that the Garrard's Chasis was the best thing since sliced bread or it was a blatent copy spliced together after a piss up at the local pub. We shall never find out.
    Probably more a case of "form follows function": for example the Connoisseur decks of the period (pre BD1) were of roughly similar shape, and were intended to be bolted down to a board along with the arm of choice and housed in a console; essentially following how most of the professional American broadcast decks (Rek-o-Kut, Gates and QRP) were employed. That was how it was done before the use of a free-standing plinth became domestically fashionable.

But since the G99 was designed to be a direct competitor to the 301, there could be something in your speculation.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Why is that "out of the running"? I have 12" arms fitted to my TD124s.

When I had G99s, I have to admit they were very good (one of which I sold to you with an SME 3009 arm, if you remember), but IMO the Thorens TD124s are in another class. The last time I head a 301 was probably thirty years ago and it wasn't for long, so I didn't have a chance form any real opinion of it.
    Yes, I do remember. It is now being used by my Brother. The G99/SME 3009 Imp/Shure 75ED I still have is my original from 1967 or so.

The TD124 I have is working nicely but I don't like the look of the 12 inch armboard - looks a bit Heath Robinson to me.

The 301 I have is in good nick, just needs a nice solid plinth. That of course, as with the G99, is easy to mount two arms of any length on.

I'm Andrew.

Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt VII - The big strip

It's been a couple of days since I last checked in and I have been stripping the chasis down to bare metal.

So, this is the base around the speed selecttor switch. Lots of lovely mank and rust.

DSCN3206.jpg

A complete shot of the underside of the chasis. Not a very nice place.

DSCN3204.jpg

After a hell of a lot of work the top chasis is now stripped, this was a complete pig to remove. The original could not have been repaired it had too many chips. Lots of paint stripper and lots of work with 60 grade wet and dry. The chasis will recieve more wet and dry work over the next few days. I want to have this primed by the end of the week.

DSCN3224.jpg

The underside of the chasis now stripped and ready for primer.

DSCN3225.jpg

The paint job will take some time so I've now started working on stripping down the last of the linkages and buttons. Quite a lot of work has already been done. The last and final section to the 99 is stripping and rebuilding the motor and doing some work on that horrid spindle. The soldering iron will soon be used on the rats nest of wires! Gee what fun!

As ever stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Interesting thread again Andy . I really enjoy the structured way you present these restorations and keep it simple for thickos like me

Looks like you've had your work cut out with this one mate .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Interesting thread again Andy . I really enjoy the structured way you present these restorations and keep it simple for thickos like me

Looks like you've had your work cut out with this one mate .
    i wouldn't call yourself a "thicko", far from it! This one has been a little challenging mainly because it's slightly new and finding a decent user manual proved a little difficult. The scarcity of the parts is the biggest problem but I accepted this when I started the restoration. Just have to keep a looking.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt VIII - Prep work.....

Just a little mini-update for tonight. The '99 was prepped last night and I've managed to get a few layers of primer. The spare time between coats has meant I've had a little time to doing some restoration on the speed selector.

Top of the 99's chasis prepped with primer. This will now have at least 24hours before being sprayed

DSCN3226.jpg

Underside of the 99's chasis again we need another 24-48h before we spray the area

DSCN3227.jpg

The speed selector switch. Now, it's snapped in half and it's shiny metal insert was missing. I hacked a Lenco 75 on/off switch to removed the metal insert and after a little cutting down and filing I managed to retrim the 99s speed selector switch with some original lenco metal!

Before a clean up and retrim

DSCN3220.jpg

Afterwards....

DSCN3228.jpg

The speed selector switch ideally would be completely replaced but beggards cant be choosers so I'm going to have to refurb as best I can. I'm trying to find a similar coloured plastic so that I can complete the other broken half of the switch I may make a cover to hide the crack in the switch. We'll see, one might just turn up somewhere!

As ever, stay tuned folks.....
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Todays Update - The Goldring 99 Resto Pt IX - Emperors new clothes.

I've been busy over the last few days getting the 99's chasis finished and ready for laquer.

Just a few quick pictures. This is the underside of the plinth before and after a complete strip and respray.

DSCN3204.jpgDSCN3237.jpg

This is the topside of the plinth before and after a complete strip and respray.

DSCN3144.jpgDSCN3239.jpg

I hate this section of any restoration as I can't populate the deck due to having the let the paint dry for several days. I'm quietly spending my time finishing off other sections of the deck whilst I wait for the paint to dry. I've not even looked at the motor so that's tonights job. It's in a real state and I dont even know if it works! I've started stripping the down the suspension springs as they are very rusty. The nuts need cleaning up and a new power lead needs to be made up to get the motor started. I'll probably completely strip the motor down and rebuild the whole thing. I'm hoping to populate the deck at some point next week and then we have to start work on the platter and re-wiring. I'm making some progress with the switches and have now found someone who can 3D print them for me, I now need to find someone who can CADCAM the switches into a workable file so I can get them printed up! I also need to buy some red paint!! The deck had a lot of screws painted in post office red so I need to repaint certain areas of the plinth in trying to keep the deck as original as possible. OK, that's enough for tonight.

Stay tuned..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Tonights Update - The Goldring 99 Restoration Pt X - Slowly coming together....

I've been fairly quite lately with the 99's restoration and quitely doing some research into how I'm going to make some new old parts for the deck. The deck has now been properly painted and has a high gloss laquer to the top side of the plinth whilst I've remained faithful and left the underside with a matt finish. I've stripped down and cleaned the on/off switch, it was a real mess, I also took the oppotunity to lubricate the switch with contact cleaner and I'm pleased to report that it worked a treat and the switch now works perfectly and dosent stick like it used to. I've been trying to track down the font for the aluminium and I've come across whole websites dedicated to font identification, whole user groups live of facebook and there is even special recognition software for the job, me, I just happened to fire up Word for Windows and hey-ho I find it within 10 minutes of searching! Pretty frustrating really as I'd spent 45 minutes going through many websites. So, one problem gets solved and another one begins. How are we going to print onto aluminium fascia? Well, Letraset was suggested but they stopped being produced years ago and the chances of finding some on the net are NIL. I phoned quite a few people locally and to no avail, I walk 50 yards down the road from my clinic and I find a model shop and 10 minutes later I find out this guy can do the work, RESULT! The aluminium has been ordered and I just have to create a new fascia which should be reasonably easy to do (famous last words ). I've re-assembled the deck and all the linkages are now back on the chasis. I need to start work on the motor and electrics but I've decided to get the platter re-sprayed, so it's of to Halfords to find a colour match and then getting the thing tarted up.

I originally went to the model shop to find some red paint and a fine brush so that some of the nuts could be painted back to the post-office red colour this is a job that I've just finished. I look at the deck now and can say that I'm very happy with it's progress I still need to get the speed selector switch sorted and I need an on/off switch. I found a company in sheffied after a little phoning around today which might be able to 3D print the switches. I've emailed them tonight with some photo's of what I'd like producing with some dimensions. I'm hoping they get back to me with good news. Cost dosen't appear to be too high either and will probably work out far cheaper than NOS parts it's not what I wanted to do but this is probably my only option. I'll still continue looking for the original switches and replace as I find them. I've managed to do a little work on the motor springs. I was originally going to replace them but they are still in very good condition and are not compressed and one of my main objectives is to keep everything original. The springs still need some work but they are not a high priority.

Part of the on/off switch before and after a clean

DSCN3208.jpgDSCN3209.jpg

Motor springs being ultrasonically cleaned, check out the crap in the bottom of the cleaner.

DSCN3234.jpgDSCN3235.jpg

This springs are still looking pretty poor and need more work.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Pt X - Continued.

A few more pictures of the deck's progress.

The on/off switch had really been through the wringer. It was rusted and bent out of shape. The rocker switch was rusted over and sticky. I completely stipped the switch, straightened the metal, re-lubricated the rocker switch, cleaned up the wires with IPA wipes, removed any grease and grime, and repainted the red areas.

DSCN3240.jpgDSCN3242.jpgDSCN3247.jpg

These two photo's show all the work which has gone into the deck so far. Everthing has been restored and populated back onto the chasis. The motor and platter will hopefully be completed by the end of next week. The real hard work starts with the aluminium fascia and new swicthes.

DSCN3250.jpgDSCN3251.jpg

As ever stay tuned!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast