+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brutalist Systemdek anyone?

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    That looks very cool. How about a sheet metal top?
    Nice idea! Will definitely look in to that.

I'm Geoff.

And a concrete rack certainly wouldn't vibrate . There are even concrete speakers about.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Which Systemdek model is this? If it is one with the metallic platter then you would probably need to train as a weight lifter to carry it!

I'm Paul.

Beautiful.

A friend of mine built a concrete house from scratch in Jo'burg on one of the hills overlooking the entire city. It has an infinity pool and he had a big party there on NYE about five years ago. Absolutely stunning summer's evening getting totally hammered with a fantastic BBQ, just watching the Chinese lanterns drifting across the city.
    About three months later the house was featured in one of the glossy magazine over there it was that impressive and the last time I heard it may even be used in an upcoming movie for a location shoot.

Wonderful tacticle material IMHO
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by cre009 View Post
    Which Systemdek model is this? If it is one with the metallic platter then you would probably need to train as a weight lifter to carry it!
    It's an iix900 so not that bad, it's heavy but not much more than a 1210 really.

There's some tweaking to do to get it perfect, getting the switch to fit the hole will be interesting and finding the right solution for cable routing could be a challenge, but I'm completely besotted with it already and it sounds gooooood (it really makes you appreciate the quality of work and level of genius that went in to buildings like the Barbican, to have every switch and routing sorted at design and build rather than just bodging it on top).

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Beautiful.

A friend of mine built a concrete house from scratch in Jo'burg on one of the hills overlooking the entire city. It has an infinity pool and he had a big party there on NYE about five years ago. Absolutely stunning summer's evening getting totally hammered with a fantastic BBQ, just watching the Chinese lanterns drifting across the city.
    About three months later the house was featured in one of the glossy magazine over there it was that impressive and the last time I heard it may even be used in an upcoming movie for a location shoot.

Wonderful tacticle material IMHO
    Hear Hear!

I'd love to see any pictures of that house if you have them - most of my travels now are directed or take detours to look at obscure concrete buildings! Mrs Child still hasn't reconciled herself to my current plan to arrange a holiday to Dusseldorf simply because there is a cantilever chair museum there, housed in the last public building designed by Peter and Alison Smithson!

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I guess I didn't really believe they could be that stupid!

Alternate host selected,
    Which imaging service did you finish up with.......?

(Good looking plinth BTW, nice example of alternate thinking)
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothchild View Post
    I'd love to see any pictures of that house if you have them
    I just checked both of the couple's FB pages to see if they had any photos but to no avail.
    They had the first of two children about the time I last saw them - I've not been over to Jo'burg for five years as all my sister's family have been here at various times. I'm supposed to be going early next year so I'll see if I can take some then
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Shaun.

Marc, I honestly do admire folk for having a go and getting stuck in with projects, bloody brilliant thing to do, but this is just a shade too much for me. I have been totally ruined by quality fit and finish but hey, bloody brilliant for doing it.

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Marc, I honestly do admire folk for having a go and getting stuck in with projects, bloody brilliant thing to do, but this is just a shade too much for me. I have been totally ruined by quality fit and finish but hey, bloody brilliant for doing it.
    Insofar as you're not a fan of concrete? It's funny, I put it up on twitter and copied in a couple of brutalist accounts who retweeted it for me - it accumulated 10,000 views and nigh on 100 likes just between 2030 on Sunday night and monday morning (with a final tally of over 16k views and 1600 engagements). I guess the nexus of folk who like vinyl and concrete buildings is stronger there ;-)

The chap who made if for me got his first degree in fine art (sculpture) and it is indeed a complete work of art, I have to confess that the hipster in me loves the fact that I can say with certainty it's a complete one off and the only one in the world + the 'audiophile' in me (as much as I have one, which isn't much) is excited that even before I've finished tweaking it out it sounds much better than the stock box.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast