+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brutalist Systemdek anyone?

I'm bob.

I love it

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

When I first saw the photo I thought, "why would you build a turntable into the front steps?"! But I see it now, seems like a brilliant idea! Certainly low resonance. Perhaps a good concrete sealer would work best on the exterior? Keep the dust down, and protect it. You wouldn't want to cover it with wood? Nothing special about a wooden 'table. Bravo! Inspirational!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Marc.

Thanks chaps,

It's an incredibly effective design, low noise and no resonance that I can detect, so very tight bass and good detail.

I've got to get it all apart again to fit the switch, maybe this weekend, if I get it done I'll put some more pics up. The raw mechanics of it are working well now (there were some issues with clearances underneath but after destroying a number of dremel tools I seem to have to the sub-chassis floating nicely now.

I really want to get some new armboards made up - in particular I'd like to try some glass ones (primarily for aesthetics I admit - I really want one made of that glass with the wire in it ;-)) but my local glazing supplier quoted £90 for one on toughened glass - does anyone know of a good source to get something similar for sensible money? It's only a 6mm plate with three holes in it so shouldn't be that hard!

I'm Bob.

Have you ruled out acrylic ilo glass?

Lots of different thicknesses and shades available and just as glossy. Could go plain or get creative and bond 3 strips together to form a stripe in the centre? Or not.

Bond the wire to the underside.

Just a thought.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Marc.

Thanks Bob,

Nothing ruled in or out, do you know a good course for 6mm acrylic sheet? If it cheap enough I could have a go at doing one myself (it's such a simple shape).

I'm phil.

ive made a couple myself out of acyrlic various colours and thckness i brought the material from a local shop in 150mm squares cost about 3 or 4 GBP each really easy to do.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

I'm Bob.

Marc, I got mine from ebay. Lots available but this example comes in at £6.71 for an A4 sheet of 6mm. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1MM-1-5MM-...xhHmbLxwcx3KYA Price includes delivery.

Very simple to work using simple hand tools (drills, metal working files etc). Just need to avoid a build up of heat as it will melt.

Versatile material and doesn't "ring" like glass.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123