+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reiver Acoustic 'Fenwicks'

I'm Twisted.

Default Reiver Acoustic 'Fenwicks'

Some months ago I put a call out for recommendations of medium sized stand mount speakers circa £1k. I was planning to re-purpose a couple of rooms in the house - bringing the music into the sitting room - and my Edingdales wouldn't fit the vibe of the room. Among the replies was one alerting me to Colin and Scott's latest Reiver Acoustic project. After the joy of owning their Edingdales it was worth pursuing. Fast forward a few months and I am the owner of a pair of ‘Fenwicks’ that sit proudly opposite me as I compose this note.

Before I attempt a review I should first mention that the speakers aren’t the only change in the system.

Since I was going to have to go 'up North' to get the speakers I thought I’d ask Nick (Longdog Audio) to do some work on the 300b SET he made for me a few years back. He added a current source voltage regulated DHT. I have also swapped some of the valves, most significantly replacing some tired EH 300b's with a pair of EH Gold Grids. I've also changed the speaker cables on Colin's advice. So a new listening room, new speakers, and an improved amp. This review is perhaps as much about the system as its individual components. For the detail obsessed I've included the full set up at the foot of this review. My review is based on a couple of months' use in two rooms and includes a brief side-by-side comparison with the Edingdales.

So, what does the system sound like? The short answer is ‘bloody marvelous’. Foot tapping, balanced, tight, airy, and nice to look at.

The longer answer is:

Overall the system offers a really engaging sound, with oodles of detail and great tonal balance. There is no valve warm-wooliness here, this system has snap and (so far as I am able to judge) presents a neutral sound.

Scott explained that they used good quality drivers in this project and it shows; what most strikes me about the speakers is their great clarity. Radiohead backgrounds reveal multiple layers that on many systems merge into an indistinct muddle. Mumbled vocal lines are easier to follow. The timbre of instruments is rendered superbly well, be it the keys of a piano or the precise thwack of a drum. I find myself drawn to ever simpler music, and the Fenwicks are ideal partners.

Bass extension is very good (these are not shoe box speakers), well balanced, musical and - crucially - in time. The speakers are unfussy about positioning – I have them close to the wall, and there's no sense of the wall taking on unofficial bass duties. Perhaps this is a feature of the front port design.

The amp is clearly making its own contribution. The combination of direct heaters and better valves has obviously lowered the noise floor and I feel that the amp isn’t competing with the music at all.

Finish on the speakers is very good, with only a patch of unveneered ply on the undersides of the stands to remind you that these are the product of one talented man in a workshop, rather than a commercial production line. The grilles fit very snuggly and the smart ‘Reiver Acoustics’ badge supports the overall impression of a good quality product.

So to a comparison with the Edingdales. Well, they're completely different beasts. Where the Edingdales engage with their wonderfully full sound and deep, deep bass; the Fenwicks give refinement, precision and clarity. It's like comparing apples with pears, and I'm delighted to have both. At the moment I'm really enjoying hearing familiar music through the Fenwicks - it really is fascinating how different speakers give different presentations.

As for negatives, well, I don't like the name, though this is just a negative association - where I live Fenwicks is a Debenhams style shop. Hardly a big gripe! As you can see from the pictures these are not small speakers, so not really the discreet alternatives to the Edingdales. Again, that's hardly a fault of the speakers.

So, thanks again to Scott and Colin and Nick for their endeavours (and for your patience with me - I have promised this write up for some months!) They are being much appreciated.

Simon

Here’s the full set-up:
    Longdog linear supplied Pi III with audio DAC, connected by ethernet to a Synology server using picoreplayer/slimserver. No fancy settings on Picore. Pii straight into the 300B SET – no pre – and using picore to set the volume. Wires are Mark Grant Copper and Colin Topps’ own speaker cables.

This is how Scott describes the design:
    In terms of specification / technical description, they're a resistively vented 2-way standmount design utilising a high quality 8in coated-paper cone midbass and a pure ribbon tweeter. Sensitivity is 91dB 1m/w, with a 2.8KHz crossover frequency. The midbass has a low-loss rubber surround and the spider and pole-piece are heavily ventilated to keep distortion down at high drive-levels. The ribbon has a neodymium motor with transformer-linearising and a shallow waveguide to enhance dispersion. Crossover is a low Q 2nd order design using Jantzen components throughout, which we've spent some time listening to & selecting. The cabinet is built from Finnish birch plywood with high percentage wool internal damping. Frequency response is smooth, with a slight rise on-axis at the top end to enhance HF performance over a wider listening arc. The damped cabinet alignment & linear impedance of the drivers makes the speaker a very easy amplifier load; it is not particularly reactive by the standards of many 2-ways, so is easy for valve amplifiers in particular to drive, especially given the reasonably high sensitivity. This sort of alignment also makes it fairly flexible in terms of room positioning; it can be placed closer to a front wall than many reflex boxes.
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Mike.

Default Reiver Acoustic 'Fenwicks'

I like the look of these. I see circa 1k mentioned is that right?

Mike.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 29-07-2017 at 22:20.

I'm Twisted.

Yes thereabouts. I think they're very good value. I had Colin change the stand design on mine so they were a little 'bespoke'. I'm Colin will pop along shortly... or drop him a line.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Brian.

These are beautiful speakers . I have heard several of Colins speaker designs now and all sounded excellent . Colins craftsmanship is also second to none . Two pairs , you're a lucky man Simon
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    These are beautiful speakers . I have heard several of Colins speaker designs now and all sounded excellent . Colins craftsmanship is also second to none .)
    I agree, although I think it is Scott who designs them and Colin is the cabinet maker?

I'm interested in Colin's speaker cable. what's the deal with that?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    So, what does the system sound like? The short answer is ‘bloody marvelous’. Foot tapping, balanced, tight, airy, and nice to look at.
    I heard the speakers a fair bit during development, and I agree with your description.
    I know that Nick's mods will have been beneficial too
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Kevin.

They do look really well made.
    I am hoping to get myself a set of "Reiver Acoustics" speakers later this year.
    I quite fancy a set of Mk2 Edingdales, although the Fenwicks look like an interesting proposal.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I quite fancy a set of Mk2 Edingdales, although the Fenwicks look like an interesting proposal.
    Can't go wrong really. Both excellent. Folk willing to trek to darkest Kent are welcome for an audition.
    Simon

Twitter @siashmore

+ Reply to Thread