+ Reply to Thread
Page 245 of 1474 FirstFirst ... 1451952352432442452462472552953457451245 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 14731

Thread: OK, What's For Lunch or Tea Today?

I'm Tony.

As far as kids are concerned, I think there are huge opportunities being missed in education too.

If we are so concerned with equipping our kids for survival in the modern world, how come so few of them understand the rudiments of how to prepare and cook the basics?

It would at least begin to address the problem of parents not being able to pass on the skills (either through time constraints or lack of knowledge themselves), and would equip the kids for later life (college or work or whatever) in a way that would be more affordable and sustainable.

I would suggest less emphasis on Food and Technology (eco-friendly burger box design and fast-food outlet workflow ) and more emphasis on how to make a loaf of bread and cook vegetables.

No doubt there'll be some 'Health & Safety' reason why it isn't achievable but that's another soapbox for another time.

I remember a few years back going into a nursery and making bread rolls with a bunch of pre-school kids. They all loved making the dough at the beginning of the day, checking how their rolls were proving, then waiting for them to come out of the oven. They all went home with a big smile on their faces having made their very own bread to take home with them. Surely that's one way to get kids engaged with real food?

Tony
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

Agree Tony.

Making pork and onions with herbs and spices

Will be used for a base
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adam.

Chilli tonight, I think.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Adam.

Bugger. No red kidney beans in the cupboard and the sour cream in the back of the fridge is an interesting shade of green.

Plan B then - spag bol!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Lunch today:

Starter
    Pour Madame: Tiger Prawns with a Hollandaise sauce
    Pour Monsieur: Chicken liver paté with Melba toast

Entree
    Pour Elle: Grilled Salmon fillet (yes - she's a bit of an icthyophage), with plain boiled potatoes and green beans
    Pour Moi: Penne pasta with a tomato, avocado and basil sauce.

Dessert
    Chocolate fudge cake

Pint of Peroni Nastro Azzurro.
    Barry

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    As far as kids are concerned, I think there are huge opportunities being missed in education too.

If we are so concerned with equipping our kids for survival in the modern world, how come so few of them understand the rudiments of how to prepare and cook the basics?

It would at least begin to address the problem of parents not being able to pass on the skills (either through time constraints or lack of knowledge themselves), and would equip the kids for later life (college or work or whatever) in a way that would be more affordable and sustainable.

I would suggest less emphasis on Food and Technology (eco-friendly burger box design and fast-food outlet workflow ) and more emphasis on how to make a loaf of bread and cook vegetables.

No doubt there'll be some 'Health & Safety' reason why it isn't achievable but that's another soapbox for another time.

I remember a few years back going into a nursery and making bread rolls with a bunch of pre-school kids. They all loved making the dough at the beginning of the day, checking how their rolls were proving, then waiting for them to come out of the oven. They all went home with a big smile on their faces having made their very own bread to take home with them. Surely that's one way to get kids engaged with real food?

Tony
    Well said Tony, it's also sowing the seeds for potential career paths in the future, something other than staring at a screen. I've recently started baking my own bread and I find it very satisfying to create a good loaf with no additives or preservatives and that tastes so different to shop bought. Encouraging children to learn the basics of cookery can only be a good thing.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Lunch today:

Starter
    Pour Madame: Tiger Prawns with a Hollandaise sauce
    Pour Monsieur: Chicken liver paté with Melba toast

Entree
    Pour Elle: Grilled Salmon fillet (yes - she's a bit of an icthyophage), with plain boiled potatoes and green beans
    Pour Moi: Penne pasta with a tomato, avocado and basil sauce.

Dessert
    Chocolate fudge cake

Pint of Peroni Nastro Azzurro.
    Nice one... Were you at that nice little restaurant you usually go to?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

ham and goats cheese sarnie on multi seed bread. 1 round.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Cold roast beef and red onion sarnies,yummy yummy yummy yumnone for Henry as onions aren't good for doggys
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Grant.

Dinner the other night.

Pork fillet new potatoes and veg

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread