+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schiit Power amps: Vidar

I'm Rob.

Default Schiit Power amps: Vidar

It seemed an obvious missing product in their line up - so I'm not surprised to see the Schiit have released a power amp: Vidar

I'm curious as to how it sounds.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Geoff.

I'd like to know what "dual mono-ish" means.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'd like to know what "dual mono-ish" means.
    This is in the FAQ: " Vidar uses a dual-mono-to-the-transformer design for the main output power supply (the most important place to use it)."
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Geoff.

Presumably a transformer with a single core assembly but discrete windings per channel, in as well as out? I suspected that might be what they were getting at.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Most likely to be a transformer with a single primary winding (fed from the mains) with two separate secondary windings (one for each channel).

Quad use a similar transformer in their 405 design, but curiously there the two secondary windings are wired in parallel to feed a single bridge rectifier and single power supply for both channels.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Well that makes two of my amps "dual mono-ish". Single transformer with single primary and dual secondaries feeding rectifiers for each channel.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

True 'dual mono' would be two amplifiers that are completely separate and only share the mains input cable/ connector (and perhaps the on/off switch and fuse), but share the same enclosure.
    Barry

I'm Simon.

This looks interesting, could be a giant killer. Must say I'm tempted to try one once they land over here.

I'm rupert.

Power Consumption: 700W maximum that seems a lot. Funny that Shiit wouldn't go class-D with all the experience they have with DAC's.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Theta (the 'donor of design brains' for Schiit) did some damned good stuff back in the day, overshadowed here in the UK because it wasn't Krell or ARC. I do hope Schiit don't abandon their cheap goodies as they establish themselves further up-market.

http://www.schiit.com/products/vidar

Looks to be all transformer. the Stereophile review on the integrated shows how they might have been able to do this...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast