+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LFD AUDIO: Their new LPCD (low powered class d) integrated amplifier.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    The master dual are infact the class d amplifier, they are knows to as the master dual since two mono amplifiers are within one chassis where one input is connected to both amplifiers and each out goes to HF and LF part of the speaker ie Biamped Mode. These amplifiers are unlike any class d amps currently available. Mik tells the amps you have been hearing on the last few visits are in fact the latest Master Dual.
    oh, apologies, i get confused by the actual names. There were 2 different sets of amps being listened to on my visits.
    One, the reference mono bloc Solid State offerings and the others, the Class D amplifiers.

The implementation of the amplifier's design is so vivid in these examples.

In general people find it easy to pigeon hole amplifiers with labels such as Valves, Solid State and Class D etc.
    These class d amplifiers would totally destroy preconceived ideas of audio signatures.

Actually forces one to totally question the whole game after such listening experiences.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    oh, apologies, i get confused by the actual names. There were 2 different sets of amps being listened to on my visits.
    One, the reference mono bloc Solid State offerings and the others, the Class D amplifiers.

The implementation of the amplifier's design is so vivid in these examples.

In general people find it easy to pigeon hole amplifiers with labels such as Valves, Solid State and Class D etc.
    These class d amplifiers would totally destroy preconceived ideas of audio signatures.https://theartofsound.net/forum/newr...eply&p=1126420

Actually forces one to totally question the whole game after such listening experiences.
    Its a easy mistake the names are so similar, I totally agree its easy not give good audio pieces a fair chance due to pre conceived ideas. These amps have re educated in a big way, I feel so much more at ease then any of my other costly amps as they feel totally bomb proof.

I would have never thought i would ever own a class D design, I am glad you have enjoyed listening to them as much as I enjoy owning them, I listened today for 4 hours and record after record I had a beaming smile and thats all its about at the end of the day nothing else.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Adam.

As I have been listening lately to some LFD equipment...
    I thought i'd resurrect this long dormant thread

I have had the unique opportunity of a full system listen at home to LFD Audio components.

The amplifiers I have on duty are
    LFD Anniversary mono blocks
    LFD Anniversary Pre amplifier
    LFD MCT (SE) Phonostage

LFD Diamond Viper II interconnects x 2

So the whole approach debate of Solid State V Valves is a contentious one at best, it seems most of us are either sat in one camp or another but speaking to much more experienced Hifi people than myself, i was told in no uncertain terms that the whole debate is futile. Of course it's obvious but i suspect most of us have our given approach and seem to stick to it.
    It is about how the given design be it S/S, Valve or D Class have been implemented. Obvious, right!

So the introduction into the system of all S/S components was off piste for me, given that my chosen Power amps are Jadis JA30 mono blocks (KT88's), David Coe AD Audio Custom Satchmo pre amplifier and an AD Audio custom LCR phonostage, so effectively tubes everywhere!

Mik at Unique Audio, suggested that the LFD Anniversary (Solid State) mono blocks would work extremely well with my Tannoy monitor Gold drivers. Yes Mik, I replied but my Jadis is literally the perfect match for them already (after going through the Radford route). Mik insisted I tried the LFD Anniversary mono blocks and to do it with an open mind.
    And that's an important point, right... as we all have preconceived ideas about what kit will sound like before we listen.
    He also suggested the perfect synergy with the LFD Anniversary mono blocks, was the LFD Anniversary Pre amplifier, after all they were designed to pair each other.

So my system is no slouch, as a few will testify, in my room space, with the kit I have the sound out of the Tannoys is pretty darn close to anything I have ever lusted for in Hifi.

So out go the valve gear and in comes the LFD amplifiers and cabling. Ok no prizes for guessing, it was a jaw dropping experience. Literally! The Tannoys came to life with more energy, control and lower end grip then I'd thought possible from the old girls. I was very proud of the Tannoys for the way they handled the new amps. The clarity and sound stage was astonishing whilst no hint of glare, grain or harshness. The precious lush midband was even more engrossing than the Jadis (something i'd thought impossible) the lower end grunt of the bass was very controlled but more than that it was open and I was able to fall inside the bass notes. So one of those experiences that flips the whole thing on it's head and rather annoyingly unsettles you to start the whole process again! Damn it!

So what was doing what?, after all I had changed the whole back end of the system in one hit. Obviously thats very difficult to determine what is doing what . Getting a handle on this was going to take a while. So let the great system box swap commence, a process I have to say, I don't enjoy very much, on my knees, unplugging, moving heavy amps, replugging wrongly, bollocks! why no sound? AH! idiot! and over and over. Listening to the same 3 tracks over and over until your neighbours think you have totally lost it! My wife certainly did! But swap and listen I did and I did manage some sot of verdict on each component

The LFD Anniversary mono blocks were an instant impact, they elevated the base of the system upwards and the whole presentation took an immediate lift. I paired these with my AD Audio Custom Satchmo pre amp, and they flew with authority and freedom. Just Loved them. Mik was bang on! The famously amp fussy Tannoys had a new match.

LFD Anniversary Pre amplifier, when paired with the Anniversary mono blocks were obviously a pairing made for each other, the refinement and uncoloured but still juicy presentation was all there. The bass reproduction took a phenomenal lift, even more than the already bass confident Satchmo pre. This bass isn't a boom, it's a sound that encapsulates the listener and draws you deep inside the note, quite a trip. This is real Synergy.

The LFD MCT (SE) Phonostage was a very competent performer, serving the phono signal in an uncluttered, uncoloured and natural way, it isn't in the way of the music at all and offers the sound up with great natural ease.

One of the surprise stars of the whole exercise was the use of the LFD Diamond Viper II interconnects.
    I watch cable debates on fora with a knowing smile. Whilst members post about the amazing giant killer this, or the £10 fence wire that does that or the £3k one that is a bargain. Let me just say that these LFD Diamond Viper cables
    were bigger than any component swap. They are the mainline energy and quality provider, they elevated both my own Valve based system and the LFD S/S rig to another stratosphere let alone level.

These cables are expensive, I confess, but when you consider what they offer in performance enhancement to an already expensive hifi system, it would appear to be money wisely spent. In fact it does raise the question, whilst we swap out boxes and expensive MC cartridges in pursuit of the jaw drop moment (which lets face it very rarely happens!) It would appear our attentions are misguided and maybe those components we chopped out are very capable after all and it was the inadequate ordinary non performance enhancing cables that were the weak link.
    The LFD Diamond Viper II interconnects were a superstar in both systems they were featured in.
    They Seem like a super secret weapon. True vitamins for decent hifi components

So there we are.... it shattered my preconceived ideas of Valve V Solid State so much so I did a deal to make the
    LFD Anniversary mono blocks mine forever!! YES!!

I will need a little more time to grab the rest of LFD's offerings, but my head has been turned!

LFD Anniversary mono blocks, LFD Anniversary Pre amplifier, LFD MCT (SE) Phonostage

LFD Anniversary mono blocks

the amazing LFD Diamond Viper II interconnects
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 28-01-2022 at 11:30.

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Peter.

Nice write-up, Adam. I look forward to hearing the LFD amps next time I visit.

I'm Martin.

A great write up. But nine grand for an interconnect? Out of my league.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Hi Adam, I am not surprised you have a big improvement, a very good friend heard my system after I swapped from a quite expensive 300B amp to a Krell KSA-100 SS amp, the change in low end control and improved dynamics and soundstage was dramatic, like lifting a veil from the speakers. He has Tannoy Legacy Kensington's and was struggling with with the same amp as me, after some persuasion from myself and others he trialed several £8K+ SS amps and has ended up with a very nice Vitus, this improvement is dramatic. It seem these type of Tannoys are better suited to SS amps. My issue was a mismatch with the Wilson Benesch Vectors and unable to keep control when demanding more in the low end, often an issue with valve amps.

Enjoy the music.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A great write up. But nine grand for an interconnect? Out of my league.
    I very much hear that Martin, but consider the Cartridge is near 5K the tonearms 3K etc. etc.
    I said in the meanderings above, I genuinely think of that interconnect as a quality performance enhancing component.
    Yes an expensive component, very and personally well past my station financially, but the cold fact is, it's a serious
    bit of kit.

I'm Nari.

Hi Adam I did hear you had tried the LFD amps, I am glad you like them as much as I enjoy my Lfd Master Duals. I have owned many very expensive amplifiers some which have been crazily priced. In my view the Lfd amps in general are highly musical and can be very delicate together with slam and dynamics when needed. I have learnt this is due to Dr Bews views on lack of grain they certainly do require the best cabling. I have a few diamond Vipors in my system and can certainly say they are superb far better than any thing I have tried from the commercial offerings inc the top of the line siltechs which are two to three times the price. Yes it is a great deal of money and one cannot deny this. I have heard many components costing 10 times the price of the cable and do not deliver the goods and these certainly do. I find cartridges far more worrying firstly they do not last forever and secondly are extremely fragile and can be broken with some cartridges costing £10000 upwards how does one justify that the fact is we need cartridges too. I own one golden cobra I cannot justify another as it is three times the price of the Diamond Viper but I can say one thing I get a great deal of pleasure listening to it. Generally as Audiophiles we have a tendency to use our eyes and not our ears. Thank you again for a fabulous read and hope you get many happy hours of listening pleasure and thats what it is all about.
    Last edited by Vrajbasi; 29-01-2022 at 17:20.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345