For anyone who has followed my threads - here's a bit of an update as I conducted a "pre amp shootout" yesterday.
Current system = thorens td166bc/sme 3009 IV fixed/nagoaka mp150..Arkless pre amp.. rotel 950bx tuner... Cyrus 7 preamp.. musical fidelity cd & power amp 3.2 with js mods...Martin Logan motion 15 speakers.
To date the most pleasing upgrades have been 1. Getting the deck set up properly & buying the excellent Arkless pre amp & 2. Buying the excellent Martin Logan speakers with some great interconnects.
Thinking I could get more out of my musical fidelity 3.2 power amp with js mods - I tried using the following pre amps to test the differences....
Meridian 561 av (£160 on eBay)
Myryad z40 headphone amp (with pre amp) - £129 via Peter Tyson.
'Tisbury passive amp (loaned by a group member)
Compared with my Cyrus 7 too.
Results:
Initially the Myryad emerged with more detail, focus and soundstage certainly compared against the Cyrus 7. It was a closer run thing against the Meridian 561,- which over duration seemed more "relaxed" and listenable- especially at very high volumes- however bass and lower frequencies were not as defined and accurate as the Myryad. The more I compared, the more unsure I was! Anyway - given the Myryad has not been "burned in" and has an excellent headphone amp - this will now replace the Faithfull Cyrus 7. Will keep the Meridan for av options & back up.
The tisbury passive pre amp seemed to excel at extreme higher & lower frequencies - and although being quite detailed, I found the sound a bit characterless and flat! This could just be a mismatch with my power amp -
I think another member commented that changing the pre amp will not change much, but just sound "different". For the moment aside from buying some nice cans upgraditis is on hold while I enjoy the music.
I suspect if I wanted a serious improvement I'd have to invest serious money at the front end. Impressed with the Myryad though - Cyrus going.....
Any thoughts anyone?
Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk