+ Reply to Thread

Thread: just messing about

Default just messing about

so i thought i'd try my new caimen via usb, and it sounds pretty good to me, but as a bonus i can now run my apple express through the optical input, so i thought why not?
    well, what a difference, much better sounds when passed through the caimen.
    try it and see.
    steve

I'm Lee.

In what way better Steve?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

Default airport express via caimen

webby,
    originally i used the optical for the mac mini which is on the hifi rack and is my main source. i had the airport express plugged in nearby and used a regular 3.5mm jack to two phono's into the back of the amp.

like i said though, on trying usb for the caimen and finding it to be excellent, despite what others have written, i had the optical lead in my hand when i realised i could use it to connect airport express into the caimen.

i use the airport express to stream from the laptop, e.g. simplify, apple lossless, bbc iplayer etc.

when i listened to the airport express via the caimen the sound is more 'hifi' and less 'mp3 streaming' if you know what i mean,
    extended bass, wider fuller soundstage, more space, really just more 'hifi' thats the best way i can explain it.

try thinking ipod via headphones when out and about and your system at home, i believe its that big a difference.
    i know i'm setting myself up to be ridiculed and knocked down but there it is.

it may just be the optical lead is better?
    it may be the caimen?
    or a combo of the two?

suck it and see and report back, it'd be interesting to hear what others think.

cheers

I'm notAlone.

I think the optical receiver of the Caiman is overall better than the USB one.
    I don't know if there's an ASRC for both or only for one. Stan should know.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread