+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JPW Sonata speakers can I improve on them ?

I'm Michael.

Default JPW Sonata speakers can I improve on them ?

In my spare room I have a Nad 310 amp a technics PDG 490 CD player and JPW Sonata speakers are the speakers the weak link can I improve on the sound with a newish pair of speakers ? The room is 15 feet by 10 feet and the speakers are on atacama nexus stands one feet from the back wall ! Any advice most welcome thanking you Mike

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    In my spare room I have a Nad 310 amp a technics PDG 490 CD player and JPW Sonata speakers are the speakers the weak link can I improve on the sound with a newish pair of speakers ? The room is 15 feet by 10 feet and the speakers are on atacama nexus stands one feet from the back wall ! Any advice most welcome thanking you Mike
    Given the rest of the setup, no. Seems like a good little system. Stop fretting and enjoy the music.

I'm Michael.

I will cheers I saw wharfdale 9 speakers on my post office window £15 and just thought they may be better ?

I'm Paul.

Sonatas are great little speakers. If you can borrow/acquire some linn kan stands, they work very well with them. Also, blutak or spike them on to the stand tops so they are very rigid. They work well spaced well apart (I had them in a similar room with am 8ft sideboard between them) and I found they imaged well square on to the wall. Also, the better your amp, the closer you can put them to the wall to get more bass without losing control.

All that said, they were budget speakers and they are knocking on a bit now. You wont beat them for beer money kit like the wharfedales, but a pair of B&W 602s would give you more oomph or some new Q Acoustics would be worth checking out. (I'd say borrow a different amp and/or CD, you might find that's the weak link at the moment.....)

I'm sorted.

I saw wharfdale 9 speakers on my post office window £15
    Diamonds? Worth a try at that price, you'd certainly get your money back if you didn't like them.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by pgarrish View Post
    Sonatas are great little speakers. If you can borrow/acquire some linn kan stands, they work very well with them. Also, blutak or spike them on to the stand tops so they are very rigid. They work well spaced well apart (I had them in a similar room with am 8ft sideboard between them) and I found they imaged well square on to the wall. Also, the better your amp, the closer you can put them to the wall to get more bass without losing control.

All that said, they were budget speakers and they are knocking on a bit now. You wont beat them for beer money kit like the wharfedales, but a pair of B&W 602s would give you more oomph or some new Q Acoustics would be worth checking out. (I'd say borrow a different amp and/or CD, you might find that's the weak link at the moment.....)
    . Many thanks indeed for the advice at the moment they are 5 feet apart

I'm Paul.

"Spread 'em"
    SBT/Chromecast/TEAC T1 into TEAC D-T1 DAC or olde-worlde Rega Planar 2 controlled by Rotel RC850 into HH S500D or DACT Passive Pre into Mullard 5-20 monos. Then into Tannoy Cheviots and a Wharfdale sub. All connected by colourful cables.

I'm Neil.

If you don't mind a bit of messing around, you could try removing the wadding from the speakers & gluing some steel plates to the inside of the enclosure.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    If you don't mind a bit of messing around, you could try removing the wadding from the speakers & gluing some steel plates to the inside of the enclosure.
    I don't like to mess with them Neil

I'm Michael.

Blu tak has made a difference

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast