+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F/S SME 3009 S2 Improved tonearm

I'm Grant.

working models are getting rarer. i love mine. it has faults like most but its a lovely bit of engineering
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes, and the Japanese just love them. I have five of them and they "ain't going nowhere"!
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Although I have been into audio for many years, my main TT's (AR Legend and Linn LP12's) all had Linn arms. Now I am looking to thin out my substantial record collection I have sold the LP12's and bought a rather nice SL150Mk2 with a Rega RB250. Although I am aware the SME might be a step backward sonically from the more modern arm, I have always admired their engineering and visual appeal. I am looking forward to using it. Now what of my present carts to put on it: Ortofon VMS20Mk2 / VMS 30? Supex SM 100 Mk3 / Linn K9?

I'm Grant.

imv its better than the rb250, and easy to use once you get your head round its various bits
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Patrick.

The SME S2 Non improved are fetching serious prices, £400-500. Not exactly sure why, I think it's because of the detachable headshell and more flexibility with tracking weight? I think they also suit the Garrads which seem to going for silly prices. I have one but the dash pot needs fixed, still sounds great though.

I'm jamie.

ive heard the arm in question and its not a step backward from a rb250,you are in for a treat
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    The SME S2 Non improved are fetching serious prices, £400-500. Not exactly sure why, I think it's because of the detachable headshell and more flexibility with tracking weight? I think they also suit the Garrads which seem to going for silly prices. I have one but the dash pot needs fixed, still sounds great though.
    I think the non improved was heavier too, not by much but though. The detachable headshell wasn't the only difference. I think anyway.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The SME 'Improved' arms are lively sounding and a bit resonant and with a 'dry' bass quality, at least with period high compliance mm cartridges. If the original shell is to be used, I strongly recommend the headshell black-tac SME suggested (or instead, even a piece of card table baize between cartridge and SME shell) - a pea shaped amount of SME's goo, squashed between cartridge and shell. It really does 'calm things down' a good bit. I don't know what this adds, but Audio Origami also used to offer a foam fill for the arm tube, again to reduce the clanking in this low mass pipe. SME's FD200 damper *could8 work well, but with baby oil in it rather than the thick goo SME first supplied. I used to cut the smallest paddle down too but that would be sacrilege now.

If it's of any interest, I think the AT MM's and Ortofon 2M models (the further up the better) should be a good sonic and physical match as well as the Shure 97XE and surviving vintage models. I'd also try the bed-plate grommets with an open mind too, as 'we' removed them as an automatic knee-jerk after Linn 'told' everyone to tighten everything almost to breaking point!

P.S. The Mission 774 wasn't the be all and end all either as it could sound muted, not overly musical and dry *at the time* in the manner of a Rega RB but I accept that it may have been before its time and a modern cartridge and turntable set-up may transform it today, as I've heard suitable decks do for the Rega arms. It certainly sounded very fine indeed with a period Systemdek III...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The SME 'Improved' arms are lively sounding and a bit resonant and with a 'dry' bass quality, at least with period high compliance mm cartridges. If the original shell is to be used, I strongly recommend the headshell black-tac SME suggested (or instead, even a piece of card table baize between cartridge and SME shell) - a pea shaped amount of SME's goo, squashed between cartridge and shell. It really does 'calm things down' a good bit. I don't know what this adds, but Audio Origami also used to offer a foam fill for the arm tube, again to reduce the clanking in this low mass pipe. SME's FD200 damper *could8 work well, but with baby oil in it rather than the thick goo SME first supplied. I used to cut the smallest paddle down too but that would be sacrilege now.

If it's of any interest, I think the AT MM's and Ortofon 2M models (the further up the better) should be a good sonic and physical match as well as the Shure 97XE and surviving vintage models. I'd also try the bed-plate grommets with an open mind too, as 'we' removed them as an automatic knee-jerk after Linn 'told' everyone to tighten everything almost to breaking point!

P.S. The Mission 774 wasn't the be all and end all either as it could sound muted, not overly musical and dry *at the time* in the manner of a Rega RB but I accept that it may have been before its time and a modern cartridge and turntable set-up may transform it today, as I've heard suitable decks do for the Rega arms. It certainly sounded very fine indeed with a period Systemdek III...

Good post!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

The original SME 3000 series arms were not 'empty', they were filled with jute 'Rawlplugs' to dampen the armtube. Later balsa wood inserts were used.

I use the FD200 damping dashpot with the viscous silicone fluid SME supply and the with the smallest (black) paddle. I don't find it over thick: cueing and tracking are not affected at all IMO. It is not used with all cartridges: only those having a very high compliance (> 30cu), and with Decca cartridges.

Clearly the SME series 3000 arms are not the last word in pickup arms, but are still very good and are sufficiently versatile for me to keep mine. The newer M2 series arms from SME take the basic SME detachable-hedshell design about as far as it can without a complete redesign. IMO the replacement of the knife-edge bearings (and the need to provide transversal balance) is a big improvement.

For further improvement one has to consider the SME IV and V arms, which with the removal of several mechanical interfaces, reduces some of the arm resonances.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12