+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up speakers

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Having just bought a pair of second hand Tannoy Profile 653B's , I have wired them as you say , red to red HF and black to black HF ,with jumpers between Hf and Lf on each pair . (The manual states join to HF !!)
    I have some bi wire that was given me with the speakers and may well try bi wiring them , as my Technics SU -VX700 has an A&B switch , but at the minute they sound great as they are !!!
    Get them off the deck a bit Anto. They'll sound even better!

Try to get the central tweeter to near ear level when sitting. Stand them on boxes or use short stands.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It shouldn't make any difference whether you connect to LF or HF as long as the jumpers are firmly fixed and polarity is correct.
    Yep. Quite impossible for it to make a difference. However, if the connections were not tight and or were a bit corroded or dirty then the action of making the fresh tight connections would give you the results you found
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm James.

If either way shouldn't make a difference ,why do tannoy suggest connecting to HF gives optimum performance when using single wire?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    If either way shouldn't make a difference ,why do tannoy suggest connecting to HF gives optimum performance when using single wire?
    To deter numpties from messing about with the jumpers?

More likely that they are the easiest terminals to reach when connecting leads.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    I've no idea. They are certainly wrong. It will have come from the marketing dept rather than the engineers! Probably some sort of marketing foo... Maybe they make an after market jumper which happens to have extra connections for the incoming wire at the top?

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm James.

To deter numpties from messing about with the jumpers?

More likely that they are the easiest terminals to reach when connecting leads.
    Nope , all terminals are in a line at the bottom of the speaker. My amp manual says to connect to LF !! If I hadn't posted this myself I'd probably ignore it, it's one of those that could just go round in circles
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Jez.

The resistance of a 6" jumper will be way less than 0.01 of an Ohm... The tolerances of the inductors in the crossover mean they will vary by more like 0.2 Ohm from one to the next off the production line...
    I guess that as the bass unit will draw much more current then any corrosion or muck or non optimumly tight connections would have a worse effect on the woofer than the tweeter and so if anything I would go to the bass terminals first as suggested by your amp manufacturer. If everything is clean and tight it will make zero difference.

I'm Anto.

Get them off the deck a bit Anto. They'll sound even better!

Try to get the central tweeter to near ear level when sitting. Stand them on boxes or use short stands.
    Cheers Geoff. I was thinking of knocking some stands up in the workshop , and then wondered if I could cut some railway sleeper to fit the bottom
    (I haven't fitted the spikes ,is there any need ?? Aren't they for carpets ???)
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Cheers Geoff. I was thinking of knocking some stands up in the workshop , and then wondered if I could cut some railway sleeper to fit the bottom
    (I haven't fitted the spikes ,is there any need ?? Aren't they for carpets ???)
    Well I'd not use spikes on decent wood flooring.

I'm Anto.

Well I'd not use spikes on decent wood flooring.
    Not on my wifes parquet flooring then
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast