+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooking up speakers

I'm James.

Default Hooking up speakers

Afternoon all, I've just been getting rid of stuff on my tablet to free up a bit of space and skimmed through some stuff to see if was worth keeping. I came across a tannoy Dc4 t manual which states when using single wire it's best to connect to the HF and use a jumper to the LF, I thought it was tother way round? So I checked and I had followed tannoys instructions. So I've reconnected hooking up to LF and jumper to HF and bingo!!!it's like a different speaker going much deeper and sounding much bigger and better. I've checked other tannoy manuals that say connect to HF too, is it just a misprint?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Taz.

Not used tannoys but kefs have it LF with jumper to HF.

I thought it was the only way to connect bi-wire speakers tbh and only ever read it to be.

I'm Kevin.

I thought the done thing was one cable on HF, and the other on LF with the jumpers in between?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

It shouldn't make any difference whether you connect to LF or HF as long as the jumpers are firmly fixed and polarity is correct.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Not used tannoys but kefs have it LF with jumper to HF.

I thought it was the only way to connect bi-wire speakers tbh and only ever read it to be.
    It's just single wiring I'm referring to
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It shouldn't make any difference whether you connect to LF or HF as long as the jumpers are firmly fixed and polarity is correct.
    That's interesting Geoff, it's most definitely made a difference in this instance

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    That's interesting Geoff, it's most definitely made a difference in this instance
    Magic?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Magic?
    Maybe!! It's definitely filled out the bottom end and as a consequence I don't have to wind the volume up quite as much

I'm Dennis.

I'm very surprised at any difference, but much higher current will flow to mid/woofers, so that should have the best path.

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Afternoon all, I've just been getting rid of stuff on my tablet to free up a bit of space and skimmed through some stuff to see if was worth keeping. I came across a tannoy Dc4 t manual which states when using single wire it's best to connect to the HF and use a jumper to the LF, I thought it was tother way round? So I checked and I had followed tannoys instructions. So I've reconnected hooking up to LF and jumper to HF and bingo!!!it's like a different speaker going much deeper and sounding much bigger and better. I've checked other tannoy manuals that say connect to HF too, is it just a misprint?
    Having just bought a pair of second hand Tannoy Profile 653B's , I have wired them as you say , red to red HF and black to black HF ,with jumpers between Hf and Lf on each pair . (The manual states join to HF !!)
    I have some bi wire that was given me with the speakers and may well try bi wiring them , as my Technics SU -VX700 has an A&B switch , but at the minute they sound great as they are !!!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast