+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Dark Side Of The Moon had "file under Pop music" on the back.
    Well yes exactly but I dont like the catch all term pop music.

Popular!? Its like it was set apart from classical music as more lowbrow by some Smashie and Nicey character from the 50s or 60s........Not alf pop pickers!

I wouldnt use it to define everything from say Joe Dolce to The Sleaford Mods. To me out and out pop is at the disposable, novelty end of the market. I accept the issue of who then subjectively defines that.

Anyway I think there is a deeper reason I dont like this new genre of pop music and maybe its the people driving it now...it is the whole x factor thing and it all seems more cynical than it even was with the Spice Girls.

We do mature and I love all sorts including classical and opera now. There is some amazing world music out there and I can assure you its not Little Mix As Grant says who will actually remember most of it in 50 years time?

One thing I am sure about though is that the youth of today will feel like me when they get older as that seems to be human nature when dealing with younger generations and their shallow music.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-07-2017 at 11:07.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Popular!? Its like it was set apart from classical music as more lowbrow by some Smashie and Nicey character from the 50s or 60s........Not alf pop pickers!
    That's exactly what happened, except that it's an attitude that goes back a lot further back than that.
    My Dad was born in 1929, and grew up in a musical household. He, and his twin brother, were pianists, and both sang too.
    In the time they grew up there was serious music (Classical of all varieties) and everything else was deemed to be lowbrow, and therefore popular, music.
    The music charts for popular music were determined by sheet music sales.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

Prince. Michael Jackson. Madonna. Nuff said.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 24-07-2017 at 13:01.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Prince. Michael Jackson. Madonna. Nuff said.
    Aye they were crap as well lol

I'm Mike.

There was always loads of shite around. As the whole thing has got so much bigger there is more. Same percentage though - approximately
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Aye they were crap as well lol
    Aww come on Prince was awesome.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 24-07-2017 at 19:44.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Pop music does seem to have become homogenous nowadays, if you define it as what's in the charts and on the playlists of mainstream radio stations. In the 1970s you'd find real diversity of genres, a broad age range of interests and some (usually appalling) novelty items. Today seems to be dominated by dance-lite from "so-and-so featuring somebody else" guest rapping in the middle of it.

Pete

I'm Geoff.

The quailty of 'chart music' seems to have descended to the same level as it was in the earlier sixties, when garbage like 'Freddie and The Dreamers' was at the top. Any serious talent being sidelined as it is now. I doubt we'll see the kind of real music making that happened from the later sixties and into the mid seventies ever making a major impact on the charts again.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Ah, good ol' Freddie... those were the days....not!!! well they were in a way. the honeycombs too with their female drummer

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

They knew how to do an album cover in those days.

Pal of mine was the sound engineer for Freddie And The Dreamers for many years until he moved on to better things ('Swan Lake On Ice' IIRC).
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast