+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Martin.

Default Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

Hi

I feel I need to start a thread about what I feel is the dire nature of most pop music these days.

I refer to artists like Sia, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande and all related "artists" in this pop production machine. I just think its rubbish. It pretends to have depth and soul but I feel its as shallow and throwaway as yesterdays chip paper.

It just seems to be packing in all the latest autotune and digital effects but it has no real melody or lasting impression. Maybe a melody is buried in there somewhere. The lyrics are overblown and over dramatic. Has nobody told them that less is more! I may be generalising but I cant seem to like any of it. Has it just got more cynical in ticking the boxes?

The music just seems to be narcissistic in a more cynical industry concerned purely with the money. It seems to serve a look at me, self interested generation totally out of control. Its all me, me me and this seems to be reflected in shallow lyrics which pretend to be anthemic but are just naff. Is it aimed at kids only as I thought I would like some of it?

Is it me? Was pop music always this way or will the younger generation eventually return to better music from an earlier date

Heck I've tried this weekend to like something. I heard the Harry Styles one in the pub and thought that's ok on a first listen. However as soon as I realised it was him and heard it again, I didn't like it and thought it was ultra shallow/naff. Is that my prejudice showing as a fifty year old bloke?

I supose I've now become my dad. I will take a bit of Melanie or the Bulgarian womens choir anyday over this naff pop music which seems to have rapidly declined since the turn of the Millenium Lets discuss it

Best wishes
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-07-2017 at 04:17.

+ Reply to Thread