+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help required re: an internet radio.

I'm John.

Default Help required re: an internet radio.

Hi,
    I'm not very technical when it comes to Hifi. However, I currently have a c1991 Revox H Line set up - H5 amplifier, H2 CD player & H6 tuner plus a Revox B77 reel to reel. Where I live in Devon, FM & DAB reception is poor & I would like to purchase an internet radio to play through my Revox H5 amplifier. Is there such a thing as an internet radio without an amplifier that I could play through my H5 ? If so, can someone recommend one?
    I have been advised by Richer Sounds that a Denon DNP730 would fit the bill but I think this is fitted with an amplifier which I don't need.
    All help greatly appreciated.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by John_F View Post
    Hi,
    I'm not very technical when it comes to Hifi. However, I currently have a c1991 Revox H Line set up - H5 amplifier, H2 CD player & H6 tuner plus a Revox B77 reel to reel. Where I live in Devon, FM & DAB reception is poor & I would like to purchase an internet radio to play through my Revox H5 amplifier. Is there such a thing as an internet radio without an amplifier that I could play through my H5 ? If so, can someone recommend one?
    I have been advised by Richer Sounds that a Denon DNP730 would fit the bill but I think this is fitted with an amplifier which I don't need.
    All help greatly appreciated.
    How about a Chromecast Audio, connect to a DAC or from the 3.5 to rca.

Apps such as tune in, bbc etc all cast.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    How about a Chromecast Audio, connect to a DAC or from the 3.5 to rca.

Apps such as tune in, bbc etc all cast.
    +1

I'm Geoff.

Or spend the money on a decent roof aerial, so your reception with your existing tuner is good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Jon.

I have one of these, which might fit the bill: https://www.robertsradio.com/uk/prod...dio/stream-93i

Specimen review here: https://www.whathifi.com/roberts/stream-93i/review

I think I paid £129.00 (new) for mine earlier this year.

Caveat: I use mine as a portable so cannot comment on the sound quality when used as part of a fixed set-up with a good quality broadcast.

Jon

I'm James.

You've obviously got a PC of some sort, cheap (or however much you want to spend) USB DAC and job done.

Jim.

I'm Grant.

yeah, i send from my pc to a chromecast mostly for radio. about 30£ and your done
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Many thanks for all your comments. However, as I said, I am not up with modern day hifi technology & comments like "How about a Chromecast Audio, connect to a DAC or from the 3.5 to rca" mean nothing to me. I should explain that I have an iPad which has the In Tune app & this is what I currently use to plug into my Revox H5 amplifier in order to get internet radio. I use the iPad for other tasks & it is a pain - plugging in & unplugging it - every time I want to use it for another task.
    I already have a roof aerial for the Revox tuner but as I live in a valley I would need to extend this aerial by about 200' in height in order to make any improvement in signal.
    I want to use my Revox H5 amplifier for the sound quality, not my laptop & a USB DAC to improve the laptop's sound. Does the Roberts internet radio have an output socket that I can just plug into my Revox?
    I do appreciate all your comments but I am looking for a simple solution. Maybe there isn't one & I'll have to put up with my iPad/In Tune/Revox current set up.
    I am looking for something that I can just plug into my 1991 Revox H5, use it purely for internet radio & leave it there.
    Any more ideas?

I'm Geoff.

Could this be what you want? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ocean-Digi...-/332233991163

The illustrations clearly show it connected to a stereo Hi-Fi, presumably via the 3.5mm headphone socket. I connect portable MiniDisc players to my Hi-Fi the same way.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm John.

Hi Walpurgis,

This looks more like what I'm looking for - will investigate - many thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast