+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pye Continental VHF 2D

I'm Nat.

Default Pye Continental VHF 2D

I have inherited a lovely Pye Continental VHF 2D radio in pretty decent cosmetic condition, the sound that this thing pumps out is big and warm and lovely

the amount of bass that comes out of the single Goodmans speaker is surprising. I have a couple of questions it does have tape and phono inputs but the

do not look like modern phono rca sockets does anyone know what type they might be as I wouldn't mind being able to connect an iPod up to it and also

although the reception isn't bad I would like to try connecting an arial to it and that also is an input I do not recognise instead of the coaxial type that

more modern radio's have this is a two pronged affair that isn't familiar to me. Any advice would be gratefully received thank you.

I'm Alan.

Hi Tara, a nice inheritance.

The design was before (probably way before) the 'standardisation' of using phono RCA sockets, particularly when things became stereo, and the Belling Lee coaxial socket that is a standard for antenna connection.

You will find that the phono and tape sockets, apart from being just one channel (mono), are high impedance which was the norm for valve based kit.
    The phono input will take a ceramic cartridge input directly, and the tape input will be suitable for an output from your iPod.
    One of the pins is the ground or common connection, the other is the 'hot' input.

The antenna connection will be for a 300 ohm wire dipole, most pictures of this type of radio show a wire antenna wrapped around the hardboard back panel, does yours have this?

I'm Nat.

Default Pye

Hi thank you so much for the reply yes you are right the arial goes back and forth across the ceiling and then down either side of the radio case so I supoose I can attach an arial to the two tails on each side of the case?
    Also what type of pins will the tape input take could I perhaps buy a cable configured 3.5 jack (ipod out) to the two tape inputs? Thank you again for your help

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This might be of help: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pye_vhf2dvhf_2.html.

Unfortunately it doesn't show the tape and phono connections clearly, but given the vintage and what was conventional at the time, it is likely that a simple pair of 3mm wander plug sockets would be used.

Is it possible for you to provide some photographs?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread