+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Michell tt

I'm Mike.

Orbe SE in silver and black for sale on Hi-fi Wigwam for £1650 or so, it has no arm on it mind you, but bit of haggling and I'm sure you'd have budget left to get you an arm.

https://hifiwigwam.com/megastore/pro...chell-orbe-se/

I don't know the seller, but it looks a decent price.

I'm Bikram.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    Would need to find out which MK the arm is the Mark 1 (2003) only cost £825 when new so if it's that one then that deck looks expensive.

I'm Martin.

Option 1 definitely. You can go for the Orbe Platter upgrade later.
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Mike.

Think I'd still rather have a proper Orbe at less than half price, especially if I already had an arm and cart to go on it

But then again seller probably won't deliver to Greece.

I'm Andrew.

Biggest difference between orbe and gyro upgraded to an orbe platter is the motor. The orbe motor housing is much better and heavier but most important is has the better psu and tacho feedback circuit for much better speed accuracy.

Michell won't sell it separately so it will never be a true orbe.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm Paul.

Two people I know have Gyros and they have had them for years. One of them is a massive fan of Audio Research and Martin Logan and and has gone through quite a bit of highend kit, but has always kept the Gyro.
    ~Paul~

I'm peter.

michell will sell you the orbe motor and power supply at a cost of £1800 , better off looking for a used orbe , one on ebay at £1495 ,but no arm

I'm Gary.

I’ve a bit of experience ‘ere...

Option 1 absolutely for sure, the Gyro is a fantastic platform as is, but will happily show you the benefits of upgrades further down the line.

I started with a Gyro with Orbe platter, HR power supply and Technoarm.
    Put a decent MM card (Ortofon 2M red) on it and didn’t think Id be able to go further.

Then I went to a MC cart and better phono stage, which the Gyro didn’t hold back.
    Bought the standard Gyro platter with spinning weights, as I’d read compared to the Orbe, the Gyro had more ‘fire’ in its sound, and my deck DID maybe sound a bit dark?

The Gyro platter gave the deck a bit more spark, sure, but it lost its solidity somewhat...so as always its a trade off I guess.
    Then I put an SME V on the deck and holy hell...big upgrade,
    Put the Orbe platter back on and heard more of what the deck can do...the Technoarm wasn’t letting the deck really show what it can do.

Nowadays I run the deck with Orbe upgrades (but Gyro motor) and SME V, sounds terrific.
    Heard a full Orbe with the same cartridge I use (Dynavector XX2 Mk2) and to be honest never felt I was missing anything.
    Decided to give my head peace and not worry about it.
    With the HR power supply theres maybe not much between the two decks, especially with something like the ‘tells it like it is’ like the SME arm.
    Only itch left to scratch for me is getting my V internally rewired with silver Kondo or Ikeda wire, swap out the VDH external cable for summit better then call it done.

My £0.02worth?

Go for a Gyro, upgrade wise get the Orbe clamp and spindle first.
    Then the Orbe platter, and double spider and better feet.

Then a Technoarm (better on a Gyro than a Jelco imo) and enjoy.
    Dont forget proper set up too, levelling 100% etc.
    If you still want to take it further then sell a kidney to get a V on there.

A turntable for life as they say, do it once, do it right and forget all about the equipment and just enjoy your records.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 12-11-2017 at 12:33.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by gwernaffield View Post
    michell will sell you the orbe motor and power supply at a cost of £1800 , better off looking for a used orbe , one on ebay at £1495 ,but no arm
    I stand corrected, however when i equired a couple of years ago they said no. But blimey, £1800, that's crazy.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast